Opticallimits

Full Version: 38 hours batch !!!!! can I reduce the time ?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
38 hours that's what took my PC to convert 1035 50D raws, of course you understand this is a huge amount of time...

I was converting them with DPP, applying distortions, vignetting and CA removal also.

I have a standard 3GHZ 1GB ram PC, I know that's not enough but the time spent seems outrageously excessive

Is it DPP ??? CS5 needed much less time (4 or 5 hours) to resize and sharpen all those pics

[quote name='toni-a' timestamp='1291068573' post='4582']

38 hours that's what took my PC to convert 1035 50D raws, of course you understand this is a huge amount of time...

I was converting them with DPP, applying distortions, vignetting and CA removal also.

I have a standard 3GHZ 1GB ram PC, I know that's not enough but the time spent seems outrageously excessive

Is it DPP ??? CS5 needed much less time (4 or 5 hours) to resize and sharpen all those pics

[/quote]

CPU power must not be underestimated. I wrote my experiences in another forum at beginning of this year. I made the switch from this system,

Intel Pentium 4 2.6GHz FSB133 HT

1.75 GB DDR2 RAM

Geforce4 4200 graphics-card

Windows XP 32-bit

which took Lightroom 2.5 all-in-all 175s to process 9 RAF Fuji S5 raw files without modification.

Using my new system,

Intel i5-750, a native quad-core processor from the new Intel I-Core series + motherboard with Intel I55 chipset

4GB of DDR3-1333 OCZ Platinum Ram

ATI Radeon 4650HD graphic-card with 512MB 128-bit Ram

Quiet coolers for the CPU and graphic-card

Windows 7 64-bit

the time for processing the same files with the same settings under LR 2.5 took 18s, an increase in speed of about 10x. I later added another 4GB of RAM, but haven't seen much use of it so far as I seldom open multiple files in an editor at the same time.

Christian

miro

Hi Toni

Similar results I have measured with ACR /factor x10/ when I switched from

1. AMD Athlon XP 1800+ 1,5GB DDR 266. Pata HDD 120GB . WIN XP 32bit

to

2. AMD Phenom II 955 + 8GB DDR 3, 2 HDD Samsung F3 1GB.

For my private work I’ve never use batch processing.

However such huge amount of pictures I have only during the weddings shoots. I shoot always JPG + RAW.

1. My first step in workflow is to reduce number of pictures. /factor x3/. E.g from 600 pictures ->200.

2. Later on I look how I can make album with these 200 pictures. The result is less than 100 pictures.

3. Further I chooses max 5 images that I really good and post process them manually

I need such powerful PC only for my landscape/macro images where I use advanced Photoshop techniques.

Greetings,

Miro

Toni-a,

38 hours for 1035 files is 2.2 minutes per file. DPP isn't the fastest, but that really seems slower than it should be. My 2.2 GHz core2-duo (mobile T7500) needs about 15 seconds for one 5D file, when running on battery (it is faster when plugged-in). That is for a simple conversion. I'm not sure how much the extra processing you did will add.

Thomas

38 hours that's what took my PC to convert 1035 50D raws,

/snip/

Is it DPP ???

[/quote]

[/quote]

Sounds extremely slow to me. I can convert hundreds of images within minutes here.

Possibly you're using some very slow aspect of the application.