Opticallimits

Full Version: Nikon Un-announces More Cameras
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
At least they are frank, but what he is saying is just crude.

"Nikon has announced further plans to cut marketing, sales, customer support, and repair services around the world"

"announcing which existing products are cancelled would hurt their final sales" so those who buy new products don't known when support and upgrade for their products will stop.

If I were a Nikon user, I wouldn't be happy reading this, lacking transparency towards new customers,  cutting repair services and customer support for actual customers to increase profit, what can I say about it ?

I'm surprise it has taken this long. Personally I think Nikon is on its last leg. No so much that they aren't making money but the camera market is shrinking; the mirror less folks are grabbing a portion of the market with their nimble efforts and Nikon is one of the few camera businesses that depend on camera. Most of the other players have cameras as a hobby - they can survive a few lean years while they adjust (or perhaps decide to leave the market). What will Nikon do when the market is too dry to supporrt their operations ? And quite frankly (at least in usa) they have not been the most consumer friendly company - while not as bad as Mamiya - no where as friendly as Canon (i'm talking about support and repairs et all).

davidmanze

While I agree with Toni about the flippant fashion with which they have announced these product un-annoucements and cutbacks, I certainly don't agree that Nikon is on it's last legs, far from it.... although the ML crowd just love to hear that sort of speak!!

The real important thing now is profitability because it's the only way to be able to continue. This year is their 100th anniversary and we can expect new cameras with this rumoured RGBW low noise sensor, I would also have trouble believing there isn't a new ML body to be soon announced.

They say that this fiscal year will bring their highest profitability, hardly a sign of a last legs company!

I didn't think you would all take the bait!

Check the date of the article ;-)

Ahahah

Smile Smile Smile
Quote:I didn't think you would all take the bait!

Ahahah
I didn't, it was obvious from beginning...!
Quote:I didn't think you would all take the bait!

Ahahah
Well, I took the bait,  I admit it was a good one :ph34r:

davidmanze

Me too.....the trick is to wait a day so that it is no longer on your mind......I did sort of think the their profitability statements were a little head scratching!

I took the bait mostly because I want nikon to fail. As I noted (at least in USA) they are extremely anti-consumer (though this might be different in the pro market); and I generally dislike anti-consumer companies. Technology wise it seems that canon has been lagging (with sensors; though perhaps that has changed in the last few models - i stopped following both canon and nikon as I went small) but canon is definitly the better company (with regards to consumer support).

Pages: 1 2