Opticallimits

Full Version: CANON 28mm
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

GeorgeC

Hello, I'd like to ask you for your advise. This is my problem:

My CANON 28mm 2.8 is dead (a problem with the focus ring which doesn't work neither manual nor autofocus), I bought it second-hand about four years ago.

I could get it fixed for about 90 or 100 $. Of course, in the shop they've told me that once they fix it, the lens will be as perfect as new... but you can never be sure...

I could also easily afford buying the canon 28mm 1.8 (but I've been told that it doesn't worth it), so I might also consider to buy a new 2.8.

I will use the lens in a CANON EOS 550d, and in fact I would be open to buy any other lens between 20mm and 35mm. I could get to pay up to 850$ (but i'd prefer to save some money, of course!)

Finally, I also thought of leaving my 28mm and buying a Tamron AF 17-50mm 2.8 instead, do you thing the quality of this one is a lot worse than the prime lens?

What would you do? Thank you very much for your advise!!
Sounds like you're looking for a "normal" or near normal lens for crop, that is eventually a bit faster than

the standard zoom. I had been there some years ago, and tried ...

- EF 35/2

- Sigma 24/1.8

- EF 28/1.8 USM

- Sigma 30/1.4

For me, the 30/1.4 did it finally. The 28/1.8 would have been a nice lens as well, but it is

more prone to flare than the 30/1.4. The characteristic of the two lenses (28/1.8 + 30/1.4)

is quite the same ... good to very good center (even wide open) ... less good borders and

corners (especially wide open). The 24/1.8 didn't focus accurate enough n low light, and the

35/2 was just not wide enough.

[quote name='GeorgeC' timestamp='1289138138' post='4025']

Finally, I also thought of leaving my 28mm and buying a Tamron AF 17-50mm 2.8 instead, do you thing the quality of this one is a lot worse than the prime lens?

What would you do? Thank you very much for your advise!!

[/quote]

The Tamron makes a lot more sense than the 28/2.8 as it has the same max aperture, costs about the same (here in Germany at least), is plenty sharp and allows you to zoom on top. I used it extensivly before I migrated to full frame. The only downside when compraed to the 28/2.8 is greater weight and larger size, although it still is very light and compact.

If you want to go with a prime Id definately choose a prime brighter than f/2.8 to gain anything over a zoom. Try the canon 28mm 1.8 USm. Its not the sharpest lens out there, but it focuses quietly, quickly and acuratly and allows you to take pics under very low light. For reportage and family shots which dont get printed larger than 13x18" or 30x45cm its about perfect. You need to correct the massive CA in post though.
I wouldn't bother getting it fixed. Why bother with f/2.8 zooms for crop gear. I'd get the Tamron and/or a faster prime.

My Tamron is very sharp at 28 mm even wide open. Stopped down to f/4-5.6 it is stupidly sharp right across the frame.

I also own Sigma 30/1.4. This is a much more specialized lens. The borders never get sharp even when stopped down. It does have very beautiful bokeh. This lens is for selective focus shots only. As such it's a good lens to complement something like the Tamron.

I've never shot Canon 28/1.8 but I've heard it's got nice colors, good focus, but is prone to flare.

I have shot Canon 35/2 and I liked it. Maybe a tad soft wide open, but stopped down it gets sharp. It is a very contrasty lens with great color.