Opticallimits

Full Version: Preview: Samyang 8mm f/3.5 Fisheye
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

netrex

Will be interesting. A lens I'm very curious about.
[quote name='Alexander (former netrex)' date='09 June 2010 - 10:17 PM' timestamp='1276114661' post='400']

Will be interesting. A lens I'm very curious about.

[/quote]

A steal for the money.
this is bad news, I was considering a fisheye for APS-C, till now tokina zoom fisheye seems still the best option.
[quote name='toni-a' date='09 June 2010 - 10:54 PM' timestamp='1276116864' post='403']

this is bad news, I was considering a fisheye for APS-C, till now tokina zoom fisheye seems still the best option.

[/quote]

I think the Tokina is a bit sharper in the corners but it has more PF and a bit more flare.

The Samyang is simply dirt cheap so it's probably hard to rectify to higher costs for such a lens.

However, I'm not yet finished with the analysis.

[quote name='toni-a' date='09 June 2010 - 09:54 PM' timestamp='1276116864' post='403']

[/quote]

One of the good things about the Samyang is it has a different projection to most fisheyes so is less distorted. I really enjoy mine, but find it too soft below f/8. It's great for making Islands; four shots around, one up, one down!

[quote name='Gregeff' date='09 June 2010 - 11:35 PM' timestamp='1276122909' post='406']

One of the good things about the Samyang is it has a different projection to most fisheyes so is less distorted. I really enjoy mine, but find it too soft below f/8. It's great for making Islands; four shots around, one up, one down!

[/quote]

Yes; it's (almost) sterographic which makes three dimensional things preserve more of their dimensional integrity than either regular fisheyes or indeed ultrawide rectilinear lenses. CIrcles in particular will keep much of their shape in most positions in the field.