Opticallimits

Full Version: next ... OL ... lens test report: Laowa 9mm f/2.8 Zero-D
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Small mirrorless lenses aren't dead after all ...

http://www.opticallimits.com/fuji_x/1037-laowa9f28
A lens with a built-in vignetting effect... what's not to like? Big Grin
vignetting should be easy to correct digitally, but you need exif data.
it would have been easy to apply it without much cost via a tiny chip, transferring aperture value should be an easy job, too bad it's not here

One more thing in the sample pictures we don't have aperture value can it be written manually ? if you remember settings used. a sample photo is of less use if you don't know if it was taken atf2.8 or f5,6
(03-21-2018, 08:30 PM)Rover Wrote: [ -> ]A lens with a built-in vignetting effect... what's not to like? Big Grin

And a lens which is not going to give me any EXIF data, yeah, what's not to like? I'll take two dozens...  Blush
In all sample pictures it's 50 mm and no aperture - good luck to remember which aperture was used. Sure, you could manually change the 50 mm. The X-T2 has two entries for FL to be adjusted by user. Doing that with every lens change...
Good review well written Klaus!*.......

..a nice little low distortion optic....

..........I'm looking of course as a spectator.

The vignetting is not a big surprise given at the small front element!

*   we have a sweet spot for everything unusual.

* we can spot barrel distortion.
Yeah, that should be soft spot. Indeed, quite a nice little lens.

About "EXIF": If you have this lens, I doubt you need the EXIF to tell you the FOV corresponds with the 9mm lens. And I do not know why it would be interesting to later see whether you used f5.6 or f8.
Aperture in EXIF is useful for applying corrections. A certain amount of vignette for each individual aperture and you're done.
As mentioned in the review - if you are using the at medium aperture settings. the perceived vignetting is not really as dramatic as the numbers imply. It's not a sudden light "death".

EXIF data would be nice, yes. While I'm not sure about Fuji but usually you can set a default - and if you have just one lens without EXIF data that'll be sufficient.
I'd welcome aperture information in order to easily gauge sharpness in relation to aperture. Sure, you can do some controlled tests at one point and establish this, but still, I like to see at what aperture a shot was taken.
(03-22-2018, 08:33 AM)Brightcolours Wrote: [ -> ]Yeah, that should be soft spot. Indeed, quite a nice little lens.

About "EXIF": If you have this lens, I doubt you need the EXIF to tell you the FOV corresponds with the 9mm lens. And I do not know why it would be interesting to later see whether you used f5.6 or f8.

There's more in lens information than FoV (that bit doesn't interest me). I use EXIF quite a lot to find picture  specific characteristics, like: all pictures made by 35/1.4, aperture wider than f/4, distance shorter than 1 m.

And I also like to be certain when doing comparsions (all 50 mm at f/1.4). To me it's better learning how to deal with a new lens. 
Which aperture serves better for wide open eyeshots between 1 and 2 m distance?
If you don't need it, cool - I sometimes am curious about these data. And will not buy a lens which does't talk to me.  Cool
Pages: 1 2