Opticallimits

Full Version: Considering selling my Canon gear
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Last week was with wife and daughter at a nearby city, I had been using my Sony gear lately and leaving Canon at home, so I tried to have a weekend using Canon, and I was quite a hassle, 7DMkii plus 15-85 is bulky compared to Sony A6000 plus 16-50 it was like a brick, also the lenses in the backpack felt heavy, of course 7Dmkii did the job quite well the photos had impressive quality but I guess my Sony A6000 could come to close results.
I am not doing weddings anymore, and with a one year old child always around that has #1 priority my gear priorities have changed, should I sell the bodies and lenses or await Canon new mirrorless offering to use my current lenses or just get an adapter ?
Sell them. Your bulky lenses will still feel heavy on Canon mirrorless body anyway. If that's the problem, a new Canon body won't fix anything. Also, there is nothing on the horizon yet anyway.
If you sell everything, then there's no point in waiting for a Canon mirrorless.

I still think, however, that Sony APS-C is not the place to be in mirrorless land.
Sell all of your gear (Sony included) and switch to MFT or Fuji.

davidmanze

I had the occasion to handle a friends Sony A6000 the other day, it felt soo small.....tiny!

The EVF....mediocre.....as the resolution is only 1.44 mps   I'm sure I could get used to a EVF, but the later 2.6 Mps would look considerably cleaner.
   Solid and responsive AF...and it wasn't expensive at 500 euros with the kit lens....then the battery ran out....of course...and all you get is the USB charging lead.........those piddly little batteries!

As for your Canon gear Tonia........if you are not doing weddings, that of course changes everything. So your photography will turn around the little one playing and running round the house.......will the Sony be able to capture those moments? 

It's probably better financially to sell before the "mega ML war" breaks out fully and renders  DSLR lenses semi obsolete!
(06-05-2018, 10:53 PM)Klaus Wrote: [ -> ]I still think, however, that Sony APS-C is not the place to be in mirrorless land.

I agree. Especially if the point is having a more compact system with still decent quality, Sony APS-C is not really quite there.

Especially knowing how you like cheap lenses and standard zooms. That's where Sony APS-C is literally the worst.
Despite the poor quality of Sony lenses, the camera body itself is a good performer, for videos it's okay, I did not print larger than A5 prints were just fine, my current Sony setup: 8mm fisheye, 16mm plus wide converter, 16-50, 50-210, Helios 58mmf2.0 I think all i still need is Sony 50mmf1.8 OSS.
the problem I am still relying on my 7Dmkii for special days, I don't know how things would go without it, the last one, last month for my nephew's first communion I did use my Canon gear, Sony was the backup camera I barely used, dunno how it would peform as the only camera i would have
(06-05-2018, 11:39 PM)thxbb12 Wrote: [ -> ]Sell all of your gear (Sony included) and switch to MFT or Fuji.

Wholeheartedly agreed. And my money would be on MFT. Oh, shucks, it is already Wink.

Kind regards, Wim
(06-05-2018, 10:53 PM)Klaus Wrote: [ -> ]If you sell everything, then there's no point in waiting for a Canon mirrorless.

I still think, however, that Sony APS-C is not the place to be in mirrorless land.

Could not agree more.
Move to Sony FE or Olympus/Panasonic.
I use my Canon glasses on Sony A7III with metabones adaptor.
They just work very well on the Sony body.
Continuous autofocus on the eyes and phase detection are pretty well supported.
I just kept my 5D classic and Canon glasses that I use on both Canon and Sony:
EF 100 IS Macro
70-300 IS L
35 F2.0 IS
50 F1.8 STM

davidmanze

(06-05-2018, 11:39 PM)thxbb12 Wrote: [ -> ]Sell all of your gear (Sony included) and switch to MFT or Fuji.

Both of those would not be my considerations......image size of MFDs is too small........

and Fuji for APSc and still has piddly batteries......like with the XH-1 you need a grip to get decent battery life and at that point where's the advantage of APS-C?.........and it then becomes an expensive camera also.

Tonia, keep your lenses as Canon adapters are now working great with Sony and you get a FF sensor!
Pages: 1 2