Opticallimits

Full Version: Next OL lens test report: Panasonic Leica DG Vario-Elmarit 8-18mm f/2.8-4 ASPH
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pretty good albeit not outstanding. Lovely build quality though.

http://www.opticallimits.com/m43/1043_leica818f284
small spelling mistake:
Review by Klaus Schroiff, published July 2017
-> 2018 Smile

Is there any chance for you to review the older lens (tested on 12MP) on your 16 MP camera?
Would have been interesting to be able to better compare the results of the PanaLeica 8-18 with the older Oly 9-18mm (and Pana 7-14 f/4).
Time flies ... ;-)

I still have the Pana 7-14mm in my closet ... whether I will be able to find the time for a re-test ... unclear.
(07-10-2018, 07:26 PM)Klaus Wrote: [ -> ]Time flies ... ;-)

I still have the Pana 7-14mm in my closet ... whether I will be able to find the time for a re-test ... unclear.

Thanks for the review, Klaus. Worth considering, looks very comparable to 7-14 optically. Wide angle zoom being next on my list, I would love to see the comparison on same sensor. As I got 100-400 recently, I am not in hurry. :-)
My local store had Panaleica 8-18 available with additional 200€ discount in early december. I did try out a sample of 8-18 and happy with results, came back home with a new lens a couple of days later.

Few weeks later, I am impressed. The lens handles very, very nicely. It does feel and balances great on a small body like GX80. Both zoom and focus rings are smooth in operation as one could wish for. Optically, it is visibly better than Oly 12/2, also on the edges.

Tiny 12/2 will still find it’s use for street photography and when I want to have it light and fast, while Panaleica will fit nicely otherwise. Overall, a lovely lens.