Opticallimits

Full Version: processors for photo editing AMD vs Intel
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
A few months ago,  I switched from intel A7 to AMD A10.

Ever since I noticed quite some differences:

Speed is not everything, and never compared them, however my new laptop has an amazing stability, till now it  never crashed, even when tortured with a batch12+ hours batch job or asked to generate a stitched half a gigapixel panorama, multitasking is still smooth.

Is it a processor related issue ?

Intel A7? You mean i& perhaps?

Does your new computer perhaps have more RAM?

Similar HDD and RAM
Then it seems like Windows did to play nice always with the i& chipset + sensor. Hard to be sure.

With my Mac with i5 I had major instability/lag/crash issues due to PS CC 2017 (18.0.0.0), but that went away with the 18.0.0.1 update last month.

I'd bet it was a software problem causing instability on older systems, although indirect hardware effects may be an influence too. For example, dust buildup could lead to overheating.

Quote:Is it a processor related issue ?

Certainly not!

If you have a stability issue with a system, it is highly unlikely to have its

cause in the cpu itself.

A system can have a multitude of problems when running under heavy load

for a longer period of time. Most of these can be detected in advance with

relatively simple test tools.

If I want to test a systems stability I usually use these three:

- memtest86 (available on almost every linux-boot-cd/dvd.

You can do extensive tests of the system ram for many hours.

A stable system should not show a single error even after

many hours of operation.

- GIMPS - Prime95 (*) for heavy load on cpu ... thereby the thermal stability

of the system design is tested. Note, that this is not only a test for cpu, but also

cpu-cooling. (*) Can be downloaded from the "Great Internet Mersenne Prime Search"

website. The program has a test-and-torture-mode.

- h2testw (*) to run extensive tests on disk(s) and thereby the bus that connects

the disks to the system. (*) Can be downloaded from http://www.heise.de (who publishes the

wellknown german computer magazin "CT".

I reckon that if you had stability problems with your old system, your system

certainly had a flaw somewhere ... but unlikely in the cpu-core itself.

Just my 2cts ... Rainer

Things that can cause crashes: excess heat (nearly all moderm processors will shut down before they overheat); bad ram; bad diks; data corruption on the disk (this does not mean the disk is bad but that the data written to the disk had errors); bad dma (data is corrupted when copied off of i/o device); bad shielding (eletromagnetic interference); ....

-

and a few dozen other reason.

-

There are tons of reasons for instability and the processor can play a role but usually it is a system problem. I've dealt with stable and instability issues across a large number of systems. The latest was kind of cute - incompatible disk/controller combination.

-

End result until you find the problem it is pointless to speculate.

All that seems too complicated for me...

However I am happy my computer is surviving all the torture I am inflicting him.

Some batch jobs take more than ten hours, yet till now absolutely no problem, the good news, I can use it for browsing or even preparing a new batch.
Quote:All that seems too complicated for me...

Well, noone urges you to search for the cause of the trouble with your old computer ...

it's just that you asked for possible reasons.

Glad to hear you're happy with your new computer.

Rainer
Quote:Well, noone urges you to search for the cause of the trouble with your old computer ...

it's just that you asked for possible reasons.

Glad to hear you're happy with your new computer.

Rainer
I can't say I had troubles with my old computer... It seemed fine to me and was satisfied but couldn't justify keeping both, I had to choose, so I chose the AMD mainly for the screen( which was the reason for the upgrade) later on I found the performance quite decent.

Now my young brother is a happy user of the i7, he doesn't torture it like I do with mine though.
Pages: 1 2