Opticallimits

Full Version: Zeiss ZX1 announced
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Nice ... so please give this one to us in E mount now ...

https://zx1.zeiss.com/
The body shape is horrible. Why so square?
Humans don't really have robotics hands as far as I can tell.
How come nobody makes a camera that's curvy and nice to handle these days? Everything is so angular and square.
I actually quite like the shape and the bare minimum of (essential) controls ... and the build-in 512GB SSD.
Not sure about the use of Adobe CC in the camera but then the target audience may be different compared to system cameras.
I think that lens companies should stick to lenses. Sigma's quatro disease jumped to Zeiss now, with slight mutations...
How did they come up with these designs?
Are these construction tools, engine parts, or weapons?
(09-27-2018, 11:21 PM)thxbb12 Wrote: [ -> ]The body shape is horrible. Why so square?
Humans don't really have robotics hands as far as I can tell.
How come nobody makes a camera that's curvy and nice to handle these days? Everything is so angular and square.

You mean the Canon EOS line, since the T90?

Hmm... 35mm f2? Same missed chance as the Sony RX1: the real only benefit (besides the current pixel resolutions) for FF is possible more shallow DOF, and then they limit the fixed lens to f2. The Zeiss has a new lens design with... even smaller elements, so yeah, they could have made it a f1.4 lens while the lens diameter would stay the same.

And the one thing the Sony RX1 has going for it is its small dimensions, this Zeiss ZX1 is clumsily huge in comparison.

Besides that, 35mm only is not something I personally would be happy about. I noticed that 35mm (in FF terms) is not my thing, with my EOS M + 22mm f2 STM. I'd rather have a 50/55mm fixed lens camera, f1.4 to f1.2 to make use of FF DOF possibilities.

The one nice thing I see is big internal memory of 512gb. But that also is an issue (one camera loss is countless photos gone, that you have not put on a computer/backup because its memory is big anyway). And then the interface, everything through the touch screen, just like some Leica models and my EOS M for instance. Not a fan.

And ZX? In europe ZX is tied to Sinclair computers (ZX80, ZX81, ZX Spectrum 48K, ZX Spectrum 128K). In the automotive world to Nissan (Datsun/Nissan 280ZX, Nissan 300ZX).

So many failures in one concept, quite impressive.

The only plus may be that it will be less ridiculously priced than the Leica Q. But the price has yet to be announced.
I would not count on "less ridiculously priced"... Wink take also in account that you need to pay Adobe's fee for the inbuilt LR CC

But the touch screen - and the EVF too close to it, so hopefully they can avoid the nose touch.

All in all, interesting design concept, but I'm not even close to "like to try it" - although the 35 mm would be more to my like than a 50. As you say, f2.0 is just not enough for a fixed prime in a closed concept.
Does it have HDMI output to a screen ?? Is its LCD screen calibrated ?? Does it support screen calibration??? What's the point of editing photos on a non calibrated screen??