Opticallimits

Full Version: Regarding the release of the ZX1 (and the Ricoh GR, Panasonic LX100II)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
In the age of mirrorless system cameras - what technical advantage has a high-end camera with a fixed lens?
Compactness.
But I agree. I find it way too limiting given the cost. And technology evolves so fast that after a couple of years the body is already obsolete.
Past a certain price it makes no sense if you ask me.
The ZX1 (or the LX100) isn't any more compact than similar system cameras really. At least there's no technical reason that I can think of (give or take a few mm).
At best, you don't need to worry about dust in the system. At worst, there's no way to get it out of it once it's there.

Is a Lightroom lifetime membership included? Smile

the leaf shutter is nice for people who like to flash

portraits for instance. Too bad the lens is not exactly for portraits...

At first I thought "oh, a very streamlined Sigma dp quattro".
(09-27-2018, 11:26 PM)Klaus Wrote: [ -> ]The ZX1 (or the LX100) isn't any more compact than similar system cameras really. At least there's no technical reason that I can think of (give or take a few mm).

I still maintain compactness of camera + lens is an advantage.
The LX100 lens is 24-70 equiv and f1.7-2.8. What MFT zoom can match it in terms of size and speed? (even if you consider the 2.2x crop factor vs 2x for MFT)
If the lens is at Otus levels, it'll actually be quite attractive for some people.

Yes it's not compact at all but it has the right tools for the target audiance.
-Battery is huge, 3190mAh.
-Leaf shutter so it'll be really quiet with no rolling shutter.
-Three dials and everything else is done by the touchscreen.
-No single card slots. This is hilarious. I'm guessing someone actually said "no single card slot" and it got lost in translation.
-Proper in camera RAW editing. Every camera should have this.
-Lens will probably be brutal. They don't really use the name Distagon unless it is.
-UI looks quite beautiful.

This is probably more of a design concept than a means to get a huge market share and I can see this evolving into a camera system with interchangable lenses, maybe with their own mount or by simply adopting the Sony's E mount.

davidmanze

Interestingly quattro like.....fixed lens limitations of course.....expensive?.....naturally!

No memory card, but I/2 a terra bite of internal memory.....

...for those who have everything (the Leica M10 and the S2...Otuses. ago go.. Lamborghini etc) .........it is of course a must have!
(09-28-2018, 01:56 AM)davidmanze Wrote: [ -> ]Interestingly quattro like.....fixed lens limitations of course.....expensive?.....naturally!

No memory card, but I/2 a terra bite of internal memory.....

...for those who have everything (the Leica M10 and the S2...Otuses. ago go.. Lamborghini etc) .........it is of course a must have!

I don't expect anyone to use it as his single camera, but as a side one, just like Lamborghinis you know statistically each Lamborghini owner has on average 80 cars....
It is much more Lieca Q like than Sigma whatever-like?

The ZX1 is not compact, the EOS R + 35mm f1.8 IS STM macro is smaller. And the EOS M5 + 22mm f2 is way smaller. Or the Fuji X-E3 + 23mm f1.4 is smaller.
Old company with old ideas in a modern market. I liked zeiss lenses in the contax days but they need to modernize a bit. The camera doesn't look bad but for the price point i'd rather an interchangeable lens system. The xe-3 is more my style (even if i don't have one yet).
Pages: 1 2 3 4