Opticallimits

Full Version: Holy moly ... pricing for Sigma 40mm f/1.4 ...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Sigma 40mm f/1.4 DG HSM Art: $1,399
Not that surprising, really. At 1,2 kg of 40/1,4, for sure is great optically. Not that such technical excellence will be able to show up in better photography, but bigger and more expensive is lately the thing.

On the other side, there is new 56/1.4. Good price. Assuming it performs in same ballpark as other two lenses from the series, MFT gets a very fine outdoor portrait lens. Yummy. Tempted.
I too find $1399 more than reasonable for such a high quality optic and 1200 grams of glassware. Contrast it to the Canon RF 50mm f1.2 L USM (950 grams, for $2299).
What I still find holy moly, actually, is the price of the Nikkor AF-S 58mm f1.4. Only 385 grams, nothing special is going on with its glass, and yet they ask $1559.95 for it. Nikon laughing all the way to the bank.
Sigma's own MTF looks better than the one of their 50/1.4 Art. And they claim it has close to no coma. It certainly is an interesting lens. Although not easy to justify in between the 35 and 50 mm.

As for the Nikon prices: to me they play the "at this price it has to be very good" game. Except for the 500 PF which is nearly "cheap" compared to their other offerings. Undecided
1400$? Who do they think they are? Zeiss?
Have you seen the MTF? Btw., for 1400 you don't get an AF version of a Zeiss in Otus quality. Wink
Looks like this is going to be the "wide" (but not "little") brother to the 135/1.8. Apparently they pulled all the stops on this one - because they could.
I've tested it briefly at the Photokina and it's to bulky and the focus speed is 85L territory. It has a nice bokeh and no CA. So if you can live with the price, size and slow AF: it's a stunning lens.
Too much for too much.