Opticallimits

Full Version: Canon EOS RP specs leaked
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
The EOS RP is said to cost $1299, including battery grip and EF/MP-E/TS-E adapter.

miro

My answer was cynical.
Your answer answer is waht Canon will do.
In reality they don't have kt lens for for one 485g. 13000$ FF camera.
Why I'm so cynical with my favourite brand? I don't like Chinese speced camera nowadays. E.g. Canon Eos R is Full Frame, 4K, with 5fps continues shooting mode.
I don't like how do they handle their trusted early adopters.
Are they doing good business - yes. They want to sell high profit FF bodies, and even more profitable "L" Lens business.
They long term target is 2020 Olympics Tokyo. For sure they on the right way, and tribune will be dominated by Canon whites.To shame for the rusted canon fanboys.

Lets wait and see the tomorrow news - the official Eos RP announcement, anf how much full frame mirrorless they will sell this year

miro

So it doesn't have IBIS after all - just " Movie Digital IS" .. which is not surprising but disappointing nonetheless.

davidmanze

The EVF is worse......2.36 million dot.......rear screen 1.04 million dot!

I think Canon pitched this ML just right.......at $1,299 the bang for buck is great.......no doubt those old sensors have kept costs down.......no real new parts.....

I gave Olympus the thumbs down for the same spec EVF and rear screen too........but they deserved it at $2,999.........

But all that doesn't matter........IMHO it will be the top selling FF ML camera!

..........and I'll stake my reputation on that!

(frankly I'd be better off without it!..... LOL)
So Canon is the only manufacturer of mirrorless systems that does not offer IBIS now? That's a (bit of a) surprise. Smile If I'd been starting from scratch now I wouldn't have chosen Canon after all, but then again I'm not investing in the RF system either.
Well, they've just released a $1300 FF mirrorless camera, so I guess that skipping the IBIS allows them to have their bodies at a much lower price point than their competitors (if you don't consider the Sony A7II holiday/liquidation sale).

We are at the start of a new market, and by going so aggressively for lower priced bodies will allow Canon to keep, and maybe even increase their market share.
Well in absolute terms, even $1300 for body only is not a low price by any stretch of the imagination...............................  Rolleyes

miro

Many peaople are comaprin this cammera with digital rabel 300D, but many thinks are not diffrent
 - 300D offered class leading IQ and IQ of Rebel was the same as top end Canon APS-c even more xxxx had bater IQ tthan xxD and 7D series
 - 300d was offered with well weight balanced kit lens. The price was also balanced. 100$ for 18-55kit
 - CIPA battery was rated for 400shoot and was giant leap compared to compact camera at that time. Not to mention that looking and composing images trough viewfinder came with zero expense - The battery life of EOS RP is comparable to kids store cameras. Happily there is cheap grip that will make real camera of it

Is see this camera as direct competitor to many APS-C.
  - Sony 6400 Offers similar display and viewfinder. IQ is neck to neck . AF of sony is beter. Sony lens lineup has bad reputation but canon RP lens lineup is limited to only one 35/1,8
  - same for fuji x
 - Hey what about canon 800d
 - not to mention that sony 7 , and 7ii are cheaper and has better lens choice

Shortly this camera will never reach the sells number of digital rebel

PS: I like the modern canon menu system

[Image: attachment.php?aid=45]
I'd like to say a few words here, basically because I am a lot more positive about this camera than most seem to be.

Although many seem to believe the sensor is the same as the one in the 6D Mk II, it is not. The 6D sensor stands at its basis, yes, but plenty was changed in order to make it work or work better with a shorter flange to sensor depth, and similarly, with regard to the AF elements built into the sensor. The microlenses on the sensor have been redeveloped to cater for shallower angles of incident light rays, and there is a better implementation of on-sensor AF. In my book that makes it virtually a new sensor, regardless of dynamic range etc.

This camera is marketed to those who start with FF, switching from APS-C, or otherwise. Considering its initial price point, it is about 45% cheaper than the original 5D and 5D II, which it essentially replaces (and the 6D / 6D II of course, which still sells at approx. 30% more). It comes with a free adapter, so you can continu to use your (FF) EF lenses, with all functionality intact, and a few more if you so prefer. Focusing is faster and has many more options than most of the predecessors had.

In addition there is a cashback on certain combo's, or a Canon shop bonus, in case you'd like to buy, e.g., a lens straight away.

In addition, it is smaller than a Canon entry level APS-C camera, which makes the transition from APS-C to FF easier as well, from a weight / size POV.

As to the EVF: I have used quite a few MFT cameras by now, the best ones having a similar EVF from a pixel POV, and IMO it is more than enough in a beginner's camera. Maybe not for sports, but then, it isn't marketed to the sports photog community. It is marketed as a cheap entry point into FF, at an IMO very good quality / price point level.

I reckon Canon has a winner on its hands with this camera, and I expect it to do very well indeed.

Kind regards, Wim
Pages: 1 2 3 4