Opticallimits

Full Version: Sony α6600, α6100, 16-55G, 70-350G announced
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4
It's strange that Sony is still not using its 26 mp BSI sensor that, AFAIK, they are supplying to Fuji for their X-T3 and X-T30.
16-50 doesn't have OSS while not all Sony APS-C have IBIS, you might argue it's a high end lens to use on high end bodies... But still, I wouldn't get it if no stabilization since I am not ready to invest in a new Sony body, it would have been nice on my wife's A6000 if stabilised
(08-28-2019, 05:26 PM)toni-a Wrote: [ -> ]16-50 doesn't have OSS while not all Sony APS-C have IBIS, you might argue it's a high end lens to use on high end bodies... But still, I wouldn't get it if no stabilization since I am not ready to invest in a new Sony body, it would have been nice on my wife's A6000 if stabilised

Neither does the Fuji 16-55mm for that matter, and they only have one body with IBIS. I think it's a matter of size, weight and price, though optical considerations might also come in play.
Because of very practical range, f2.8 and stabilization, plus very decent optics, Canon 17-55f2.8 was my preferred lens from 2006 till 2019 when i moved to EOS RP, it even made me switch back to APS-C after a short period with full frame in 2014
It wasn't compact nor lightweight....
I'm positively surprised actually. Ok, the cameras are just business as usual. However, the MTFs of those lenses are looking very good, they are light-weight and compact.
the 70-350mm f/4.5-6.3 OSS is actually just as light-weight as the Leica 50-200mm f/2.8-4 but provides more reach and even a slight equivalent speed advantage at the long end.
Honestly, I think this is quite a blow for Fuji and MFT - albeit a very late one.
(08-28-2019, 10:19 PM)Klaus Wrote: [ -> ]I'm positively surprised actually. Ok, the cameras are just business as usual. However, the MTFs of those lenses are looking very good, they are light-weight and compact.
the 70-350mm f/4.5-6.3 OSS is actually just as light-weight as the Leica 50-200mm f/2.8-4 but provides more reach and even a slight equivalent speed advantage at the long end.
Honestly, I think this is quite a blow for Fuji and MFT - albeit a very late one.

Indeed, from the MFTs graphs, the 16-55 seems to be the best APS-C lens of its type, both in terms of IQ and size/weight. Easily beating the Fuji for instance.

However, the 70-350 doesn't have a speed advantage over the Pany 50-200 at the long end.
The 70-350 would be equivalent to a 52-263 f3.4-4.7 MFT lens though, so it's slower at both ends than the MFT lens (however, I don't know what its aperture would be at an 200 MFT equiv focal length).

What Sony has done with their "cheap" APS-C primes is very nice too:
  • 16mm f1.4
  • 30mm f1.4
  • 56mm f1.4
The 56mm is especially interesting: very compact but with very very good IQ.
I thought these 3 primes are from Sigma actually? Smile
Yep, that's genuine Sigma glass Smile
(08-29-2019, 07:37 AM)JJ_SO Wrote: [ -> ]Yep, that's genuine Sigma glass Smile

Ooops... I guess I'm already senile!
I meant to write Sigma but somehow I wrote Sony. Ugh.
Pages: 1 2 3 4