Opticallimits

Full Version: Interesting ....
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
The RF 35mm f/1.8 has quite massive RSAs. And that's (also) a macro lens ...
Why is this interesting? Isn't it closer to disgusting that such a lens would have massive RSA ?
Well, it's interesting because this is the 2nd modern Canon lens that is showing this issue.
It doesn't happen that often after all.
In a lens as compact (despite the impressive stats) as this, something has to give. Smile
(12-09-2019, 10:42 AM)Klaus Wrote: [ -> ]Well, it's interesting because this is the 2nd modern Canon lens that is showing this issue.

Which was/is the 1st one, and how did you detect it? When taking the LoCA test images on manual focus?
Quick question: what does RSA stand for? I'm guessing R-something Spherical Abberation, but I'm stumped.
R = "Residual" methinks.
(12-09-2019, 12:39 PM)Brightcolours Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-09-2019, 10:42 AM)Klaus Wrote: [ -> ]Well, it's interesting because this is the 2nd modern Canon lens that is showing this issue.

Which was/is the 1st one, and how did you detect it? When taking the LoCA test images on manual focus?

The 24-70mm f/4 IS had massive RSAs.

The surprising aspect about the RF 35mm seems to be that AF isn't overly reliable either - but I have to verify that again.

(12-09-2019, 06:29 PM)Rover Wrote: [ -> ]R = "Residual" methinks.

Residual spherical aberrations.