Opticallimits

Full Version: Next OL lens test report: Sony FE 200-600mm f/5.6-6.3 G OSS
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Very nice ...

https://www.opticallimits.com/sonyalphaf...00f5663oss

Funnily a preliminary version of the review (and the charts) was present on the front page since yesterday already ...LOL.

davidmanze

A surprise and a good review !!

.... Sony hit the ball out of the park with this lens ......... sharp everywhere ....... and great bokeh for such a lens!!

As you say "a steal"....
Pretty interesting. The fact that it doesn't extend is not only smart, but I think it really helps with handling. For instance I find the Sigma 150-600 C at max extension a bit unpleasant to hold - also I'm always worried to put a hand at the front extreme for fear of introducing wobbling in the tube.

I'm not surprised that at 600mm the borders are not so great - I'd be curious to know how they are at 550mm or such.

PS I really don't understand why in 2020 manufacturers don't make Arca-style plates...
Very positive review. In particular central sharpness at the long end is indeed quite unique, not many lenses at such price point can deliver such, if any.
Klaus, thank you for reviewing this lens! Great option for birds and the price is reasonable.
On the specs did you mean 618mm? It shows 318mm.
(09-11-2020, 12:32 AM)borisbg Wrote: [ -> ]Klaus, thank you for reviewing this lens! Great option for birds and the price is reasonable.
On the specs did you mean 618mm? It shows 318mm.

Multi-element telephoto lenses are never as long as the focal length is. Long-focus lenses, which predate telephoto lenses, were about as long as the focal length. Only Pentax has made an old fashioned long-focus lens the last few decades, in the Pentax HD DA 560mm f5.6 ED AW, which measures 521.7mm according to the manufacturer.

For this Sony, 318mm is correct.
Even better than.
Thank you BC.