Opticallimits

Full Version: Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's ...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
... a new lens butcher.
The R5 is the fast version. The coming (2021) high resolution version (R5S?) is rumoured to have a 90mp sensor...
The meaningful limit of the test procedure (and most lenses) is 50mp. And I doubt that testing will continue beyond 2021 anyway.

davidmanze

(12-13-2020, 10:14 AM)Klaus Wrote: [ -> ]The meaningful limit of the test procedure (and most lenses) is 50mp.

And I doubt that testing will continue beyond 2021 anyway.

Oh ..... what are you saying ??
(12-13-2020, 10:52 AM)davidmanze Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-13-2020, 10:14 AM)Klaus Wrote: [ -> ]The meaningful limit of the test procedure (and most lenses) is 50mp.

Which part r u referring to? :-)

The accuracy of chart-based testing depends on the print quality. This has limits. At some stage, you have to scale up the size of the chart - and that has practical limits.

As for the comment about 2021 being the final year - this website can't operate on hot air. It requires money.

davidmanze

(12-13-2020, 11:57 AM)Klaus Wrote: [ -> ]
(12-13-2020, 10:52 AM)davidmanze Wrote: [ -> ]

Which part r u referring to? :-)

The accuracy of chart-based testing depends on the print quality. This has limits. At some stage, you have to scale up the size of the chart - and that has practical limits.

As for the comment about 2021 being the final year - this website can't operate on hot air. It requires money.

...... the second part sadly ... !!
I will be very sad to see OL closing doors :-(
But I understand it's not sustainable.
How much would you need to keep going?
The regular user base (us in these forums) seems quite small (10-20 people?)
How much would we have to donate for you guys to carry on?
Yeah, if we can do anything that might make a difference, we should, and we would.
Well, making a review costs about 250USD in rental costs. We do about 40 reviews a year. Plus gear replacements (the R5 wasn't cheap ...). Plus operating costs for the servers.
And that's prior to any earnings. Sustainability would require a minimum of $20K. We are below that already in 2020 already.

The number of overall readers is still Ok around 100K/month. This sounds high but these days the ad action has shifted to Youtube and we won't go there really.
FWIW, we receive around 5 donations per month which covers ... around 1/4th of one review. ;-)

The aspect that is really hurting is the lack of Nikon reviews. They used to produce more revenue than Canon for whatever reason (even more fanatics?).

Well, fortunately, PZ/OL was never the primary source of income so there is no drama here on a personal level.

Anyway, let's enjoy the last year together. There's still a faint hope that Markus will finally come out of his hibernation mode regarding Nikon Z. Never say never. ;-)
Please stay. There is still a lot to explore:
https://photorumors.com/2020/12/14/first...0-95-lens/

Klaus, perhaps you can make the DONATE button more visible when PZ is viewed on mobile devices.
Pages: 1 2