Opticallimits

Full Version: DXO PureRAW
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

Impressive ...
I have been a long time user of DXO, when DXO4 update came out I was complaining that they practically added nothing but an improved noise reduction and new cameras support, however after downloading a trial and seeing what the new noise reduction could do, I was impressed, you gain easily 2-3f stops of noise which is very impressive.
Its major drawback is speed, sometimes it takes ages to edit a photo, of course this varies between computers however when it takes more than a minute per photo, this is not a good sign, did anyone check editing speed ??
Well, it'll depend heavily on your graphics card. Once it's native to Apple Silicon, it'll fly well there I reckon.

davidmanze

I usually take little notice of new editing programs ....... but looking at this video they seem to be extracting the last drop out of those otherwise noisy images ...

........ quite remarkable and not so expensive ......
It can't do Fuji RAF it seems.

I've tried a few ancient images of mine. Quite a difference I have to say. The sharpness may even be a bit over the top.

davidmanze

(05-03-2021, 10:08 AM)Klaus Wrote: [ -> ]It can't do Fuji RAF it seems.

I've tried a few ancient images of mine. Quite a difference I have to say. The sharpness may even be a bit over the top.

What program are you using it in conjunction with .........

........ is it that slow and is it dependent on the graphics card speed ??
I have got a Macbook Pro 15 i7 from 2017 here.

A 42mp Sony file takes about a minute when using the GPU (Radeon Pro 555). With the CPU only it takes about 5min ...
When it comes to AI/machine learning, it's about the GPU or specialized chips. The CPU is just too slow.

So yes, you will need a powerful (supported) GPU. A current gen Macbook Pro 16 will be about twice as fast (30sec).
A high-end gaming GPU, should do it in sub-10secs I reckon.

My Radeon Pro 555 (42mp->1min) has a passmark of about 3140.
If you know your graphics card - search it here: https://www.videocardbenchmark.net/gpu_list.php - to look up its passmark.
The ratio between them can give you an idea of how fast your machine is.
The best GPUs have passmarks of 20000+.

FWIW, I've just tried an ISO 12800 file - while it looks a little plasticky, there's a lot of detail in the image. If someone told me that the image was taken at ISO 200, I would believe him. However, I reckon the result depends on the specific subject - and it can't really restore dynamic range.

davidmanze

........ thanks for that Klaus !!

I just typed in my video card, the Nvidia GTX 560 ti and it came up with the following numbers:

Passmark G3D ........ 3078

Rank ......... 322

...... it's a while since I've dabbled in computers ......... according to what you wrote the card sounds reasonable ....... no ??
It should be in a similar ballpark.

However ...just try it. The trial version is good for a month. :-)

davidmanze

(05-03-2021, 12:24 PM)Klaus Wrote: [ -> ]It should be in a similar ballpark.

However ...just try it. The trial version is good for a month. :-)

...thanks Klaus !! ........ although I'm shooting basically at low ISOs, 100-600 ISO, so  basically noise isn't a problem as such ......... PS CS6 has no RAW support for the D500/D850 without going via Adobe Raw converter ...... which is a slight pain .. (a D850 is on my shopping list btw)

I think I'll download the trial version and give it a go !!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/124690178@N08/
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5