Opticallimits

Full Version: Leitz Phone 1 announced
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
A phone with only a 19mm FF equivalent lens? Thats a bit wide, init?
Why? All modern flagship phones have ultra-wide cams. 19mm is rather moderate in comparison. Combined with the 1" sensor, you can "zoom" in while keeping a reasonable resolution and quality.
(06-19-2021, 12:37 AM)Klaus Wrote: [ -> ]Why? All modern flagship phones have ultra-wide cams. 19mm is rather moderate in comparison. Combined with the 1" sensor, you can "zoom" in while keeping a reasonable resolution and quality.

With one lens, they have something like 26mm or 28mm FF equivalent. The 1" (not the size of the sensor) does not make for "zoom", resolution does. Flagship phones offer multiple cameras with one "tele" lens for for instance portraits. For instance 65mm FF equiv. with the iPnone pro. With this 20mp Sharp phone, zooming to 65mm FF equiv. would result in about 1mp images. That's why 19mm for a single camera phone is a bit daft.
And you consider a tele lens in a smartphone an interesting proposition?
Twilight zone...

Klaus in response to Toni-a post about 1" sensors coming to smartphones:
"With a big sensor, tele images will be impossible except via cropping or a lens mount."
Klaus on the announcement of the iPhone 12 Pro (thats the one with 3 cameras/lenses)"
"I'm seriously tempted ..."

And to answer your question: Yes, if people use their phones to make photos and they want to do a portrait, the tele photo lens is an interesting proposition for sure. In addition to something wider, of course.
Dat lens cap though
(06-19-2021, 12:47 PM)Brightcolours Wrote: [ -> ]Twilight zone...

"With a big sensor, tele images will be impossible except via cropping or a lens mount."
Klaus on the announcement of the iPhone 12 Pro (thats the one with 3 cameras/lenses)"

And to answer your question: Yes, if people use their phones to make photos and they want to do a portrait, the tele photo lens is an interesting proposition for sure. In addition to something wider, of course.

Everything is a compromise.
Here we have a 1" sensor. 1/3 of its resolution for cropping ("tele") purposes is fine with me.
(06-19-2021, 11:06 PM)Klaus Wrote: [ -> ]
(06-19-2021, 12:47 PM)Brightcolours Wrote: [ -> ]Twilight zone...

Everything is a compromise.
Here we have a 1" sensor. 1/3 of its resolution for cropping ("tele") purposes is fine with me.

Ok, so 2 megapixels is fine with you.
In a phone - yes. Ever used an image of more than 2mp from a phone for anything serious?
I, for one, use the smartphone camera for social media and social media alone.
Pages: 1 2