Opticallimits

Full Version: Less weight - do you use camera straps around your shoulder? HoldFast?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

haring

I am a wedding photographer. After a long day of shooting a wedding I am just so tired of having my cameras on straps around my neck.

I saw some people use camera straps around the shoulder which puts the weight on the shoulder rather than the neck area....

Do you use them? Which one would you recommend? How about HoldFast camera straps?

Thanks so much!

I use Op/Tech straps on all my cameras, almost all of them around my shoulder all the time. It's quite a good system. Shoulder pads are really wide and padded well so it more or less cuts the weight you feel by half to begin with. Moreover, it has system connectors on every piece so you can use the same shoulder pad with several cameras, extend the strap when needed or remove it altogether in a matter of seconds.

Another happy user of OpTech straps here.

-- Markus

Most of the time I hang my cameras over my shoulder, (unless using my Rolleicord/Mamiya C330). I typically use the strap that ships with the camera, so nothing special.

haring

Thanks so much!!!!

davidmanze

No fancy accessories here...

I found an old grey corduroy thick heavy duty pullover and cut up and sown to add softness to my existing camera straps,all up it's 5 cms wide 2 cms thick and soft as a baby's proverbial, one for the D750, one for the D500 and one super-duty version for the AFS 500mm...........

.......cost zilch, plus a bit needle and thread........I owe these skills to my dear old mum... bless her!

Haring, it is worth looking into Peak Design as well.
Then I have to say something about peak-design:

1. I was hoping, the little straps would fit through the normal "strap eyelets". They don't, they are too fat. Meaning: use the normal rings to put the straps through. I hate that. This goes for every camera I own, except the ones with long eyelets (D5100, sd0quattro, G11). I just don't fancy "solutions" with which I have to adapt an adapter. And I'm no fan of those rings which usually have to be fiddled through the eyelets.
  2. I bought the "capture" device to attach the camera to a holder which is attached to the strap of a backpack or wahtever. Yes, that would be a nice idea - if they only made not a "sort-of-Arca-compatible" camera plate. It's useless, none of my arca plates fits in it, it's also not made for the L-plates. Peakdesign's plate at the other side doesn't fit well to real quick releases, only the ones with a screw will work.