Opticallimits

Full Version: too much gear, should do some arrabgements
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
[Image: gallery_5426_156_135426.jpeg]

This is a part of my gear.

I feel I have too much

The usual say: keep the lenses you are using sell the ones you aren't doesn't apply since I am using all of them

bodies: 300D and 30D not used but to cheap to sell kept as souvenir/ornament

5D MKi

750D

lenses

8mm fisheye

10-18

tokina 16-28 f2.8

15-85IS

17-55f2.8IS

18-55

24-105L

tokina 24-200

28f2.8

50f1.4

70-300IS

100mm macro

speedlights: sigma 500 DG super, Canon 580 EX youngnuo 600EX RT

of the  lenses tokina 16-28 is listed for sale

24-200 is going to the repairs this week

28mm f2.8 manual focus only--> ornament on the 300D

lenses selling is out of question: 17-55f2.8

I need all three flashes for multiflash photography

if you were me and want your camera and lenses to fit in one backpack, what would you keep?

Let me see

Keep these:

-300D

-30D

No point in selling those two.

I had a 5Di and an APS-C camera at the same time. I had bought the 5D only for using with one lens (Zeiss 35/2.4 Flektogon). I ended up not using it at all. It gave me exactly three keepers in one year (maybe even more) so I sold it. To be honest, I don't see such a lens in  your setup neither. 50/1.4 is much more enjoyable in FF but that's about it.

In this way of thinking, I'd ditch the 5D. You have quite a good system in APS-C anyway so  I'd build on that. I'd probably sell:

-24-105L

-18-55

-16-28

-Either 17-55 or 15-85. Or just take one of them with you.

I'd probably add a 30/1.4 kinda lens (Sigma has a nice one, right?) and call it a day. 

Or honestly I'd just buy a 6D and get a whole set of lenses. It's much lighter than any of the 5D models and works really well with Canon primes.

I'd also get rid of all the flashes and buy three new, same brand and same model.

Call that much???? Big Grin

davidmanze

Just buy a bigger backpack!

Quote:  Just buy a bigger backpack!
I already have a gigantic backpack capable of accomodating 2 DSLRs plus 2 flashes, plus seven lenses plus laptop, but unfortunatelt this is not enough... I am using two other accessory backpacks  

davidmanze

How gigantic......this gigantic?

http://www.firestormkit.co.uk/index.php?...ct_id=2290

Now that's a backpack!!!

Oh you might need a little help from my friend, he's not really wedding trained though!

[ATTACHMENT NOT FOUND]

Wow... that's quite some gear there. I would sell all these cameras except the 750D (none of them are particularly exciting except the 750D - you might want to keep that one) for - say - a 80D, and leave just three lenses: 10-18, 17-55 (I have a soft spot for that one...), 100 macro, and add a decent telephoto like - say - a 70-200/4 L IS. Much of your stuff is old one, so getting anything but small change for that might be a problem though... No idea wrt flashes; they may or may not be very important for your style. I make due with just one 430EX (first iteration - the "nuclear accelerator" one).

I can also confess to owning duplicate gear but some of it (the Tamron 70-300) is slowly getting turned over to my wife's control. However, I'm a firm believer in two body setup, especially since I'm shooting a lot in inclement weather - like today - where I'm always wary of changing lenses for fear of getting snow (that's what is being dished upon us these days) inside.

I have given away my 350D when I went to the 450D, to a friend who would like to use it. Same with my 450D, I gave it away when I got my 6D, to another friend who would like to have a DSLR.

No reason to keep older bodies, as there is a reason you bought a new one. And giving it to someone gives me bigger satisfaction than selling it to someone silly enough to bid the highest price.

Quote:I have given away my 350D when I went to the 450D, to a friend who would like to use it. Same with my 450D, I gave it away when I got my 6D, to another friend who would like to have a DSLR.

No reason to keep older bodies, as there is a reason you bought a new one. And giving it to someone gives me bigger satisfaction than selling it to someone silly enough to bid the highest price.
I've given a good deal of gear away too. Sometimes I do regret getting rid of the 24-85/3.5-4.5 though. Smile (One of these days a relative has offered me a 28-90 zoom lens that came with his ages old film EOS... go figure).