Opticallimits

Full Version: Why big SLRs are better for weddings and events
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Just noticed this on a wedding I was attending,

There were several wedding photographers, four if I remember well, they had all either 5D or 1Dx series with the big L lenses and hoods making them look even bigger, and one photographer using Leica.

Everyone was looking at the big cameras forgetting all about the leica, worst someone tried to  forbid him  from approaching during one photoshoot and his colleagues had to intervene....

Clients feel better with bigger cameras..... 

You have a nice car ... you must be a good driver.

Naah, I disagree. 

It's mostly how you carry your camera and yourself. I've been called "a pro photographer"  many times by random people while all I had was a Nex 7 with a FD 50/1.4 in my hands and everyone around at that time had DSLRs with battery grips and lenses with hoods. Having an all metal and serious looking set such as that Nex certainly helps but it's mostly how people cast themselves on to others by their stance.

And yet a Leica user typically would believe they were better than anyone in the room! 

I would like to say people recognize Canon as the camera of the professional wedding shooter, but I think the biggest, most elaborate gear would be what most people expect.  Expensive, complicated, and big!  That's what you want your photographer to show up with!

Studor13

Quote: I would like to say people recognize Canon as the camera of the professional wedding shooter, but I think the biggest, most elaborate gear would be what most people expect.  Expensive, complicated, and big!  That's what you want your photographer to show up with!
I don't know where people get these ideas.

I am mainly a landscape photographer but I have helped out my photography partner who shoots quiet a few weddings. He gets his "gigs" from people who see his work on his site or through personal references.

On the last wedding that we shot, I never once noticed either the bride or the groom looking at our gear and thinking "Oh, are their cameras and lenses big enough" or thinking something equally ridiculous.They were well and truly preoccupied with other things on their minds.

A wedding photographer is firstly judged on their previous work and secondly on what is delivered on their latest work.

We have never been asked if we shoot Canon or Nikon.

Incidentally, my partner now shoots Fuji. Mirrorless, unobtrusive and gets the jobs done.
Quote:I don't know where people get these ideas.

I am mainly a landscape photographer but I have helped out my photography partner who shoots quiet a few weddings. He gets his "gigs" from people who see his work on his site or through personal references.

On the last wedding that we shot, I never once noticed either the bride or the groom looking at our gear and thinking "Oh, are their cameras and lenses big enough" or thinking something equally ridiculous.They were well and truly preoccupied with other things on their minds.

A wedding photographer is firstly judged on their previous work and secondly on what is delivered on their latest work.

We have never been asked if we shoot Canon or Nikon.

Incidentally, my partner now shoots Fuji. Mirrorless, unobtrusive and gets the jobs done.

I'm not saying I agree.  In fact the guy with the Leica is especially well suited for getting candid shots.  Fujifilm makes a number of good understated cameras.  Excellent for street photography, and the like.

If you are asking where I personally get the idea that people think this way, it is because:

a) Every wedding photographer I have ever met uses Canon or Nikon.

b) I do a lot of reading at the Pentax Forum sight.  The reason being they review a lot of old lenses that are no longer in production, and there are lots of interesting photos and photogs.  On and off, I've toyed with the idea of getting and Pentax digital.  One of the themes that gets repeated over and over by serious photographers is that the people that hire them expect them to show up with Canon or Nikon.  Personally, I was sort of skeptical myself.  Especially, since this is most often given as an explanation for why they are selling their Pentax gear.  They have decided to go with Canon or Nikon.  From what I've seen the better Pentax DSLR's are very good performers.  The problem I do see is it is hard to match the versatility of Canon for instance.  The line of every possible type of lens, strobes, ect... is very extensive.  But if the posters are to be believed they have not gotten jobs because of shooting with Pentax.  It does have something of the sound of an excuse to me!  So your point is well taken!
Quote:Everyone was looking at the big cameras forgetting all about the leica,

Isn't that the purpose of a Leica? You get different images by not drawing attention.

Unfortunately there isn't a digital version of a Rolleiflex TLR.
What's wrong with a real Rolleiflex TLR? Smile

Quote:What's wrong with a realy Rolleiflex TLR? Smile

I have a 'cord V and love it. Though processing is expensive where I live these days and I don't have the time to scan the negs/slides any longer.
Pages: 1 2