Opticallimits

Full Version: Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 USM IS II announced
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
If we consider the sales the best selling lenses aren't the best ones but the cheapest: 18-55 50f1.8 and 75-300, so those lenses are worth an upgrade.

They are upgrading 70-300 but IMHO the cheapo 75-300 deserves a second look, they are selling thousands maybe millions of it
The 75-300mm was replaced with the 70-300mm. Now the 70-300mm is replaced with version II.

The one that they are selling a lot of: EF-S 55-250mm IS STM.

Looks like a solid upgrade!

Quite an improvement at 300mm (almost up to Sony FE 70-300mm G OSS and Canon 70-300mm L level), no rotating front element anymore, and much improved fast AF. For a very decent price.
Quote:The 75-300mm was replaced with the 70-300mm. Now the 70-300mm is replaced with version II.

The one that they are selling a lot of: EF-S 55-250mm IS STM.

Looks like a solid upgrade!

Quite an improvement at 300mm (almost up to Sony FE 70-300mm G OSS and Canon 70-300mm L level), no rotating front element anymore, and much improved fast AF. For a very decent price.
Thumbs up to Canon then.

BTW the new EFs 18-55 STM is quite decent too compared to my old 18-55 I got as kit with my 300D, the difference is obvious.
Yes indeed, the 18-55mm STM is quite a bit better optically.

The cheapo 75-300 is irredeemable. If it is to be fixed, so much needs to be revised about it that you'll be looking at a lens about the price of this new 70-300. I'm wondering why they're still selling it as new - in kits with cheapest Rebels that would've benefitted more from the 55-250, to boot.

I only see the 75-300mm being sold in fake kits with lost of other crap like $2 filters and crapy bags and what not. Not in Canon kits? Old lens stock being cleared in my opinion.

the sample pic in this movie look nice in terms of bokeh quality: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RL-xVSH0bh0 

The LCD implementation is not half bad, actually. Nice lens for a relatively nice price.

Nikon must be getting headaches from Canon (dual pixel sensors, PD AF image sensors in most DSLRs, a growing range of STM and nano USM lenses, a lot of technology to catch up to in the AF front).

Pages: 1 2