Opticallimits

Full Version: Next PZ lens test report: Zeiss Distagon T* 15mm f/2.8 ZF.2
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
Well, it should tell me something that even Zeiss now updates lenses faster than I review them Wink Anyway, even though the Milvus version of the Distagon was announced yesterday, here's our review of the (now discontinued) ZF.2 variant. Optically, the lenses seem to be identical.

http://www.opticallimits.com/nikon_ff/988-zeisszf1528ff

-- Markus

davidmanze

Samyang 14mm F2.8 vs Zeiss 15mm F2.8

Samyang, sharper even wide open.

Samyang, less vignetting ( tested on the  Canon body which has more aggressive contrast)

Samyang, less CA. low coma.

Zeiss, way less distortion. (Samyang is wider so can take correction albeit mustache)

Zeiss better construction and takes filters,    Samyang still a good build level and can't take filters.

Samyang, you get to keep $2,000+ (enough to buy you the Fuji X-T2!  Rolleyes )

Both communicate to Nikon bodies.

Thanks Samyang!

With a manual focus lens and an electronic aperture focus shift is a catastrophe, maybe more on fast Tele lenses than ultrawides, does this lens has any focus shift?
Quote:Samyang 14mm F2.8 vs Zeiss 15mm F2.8

Samyang, sharper even wide open.

Samyang, less vignetting ( tested on the  Canon body which has more aggressive contrast)

Samyang, less CA. low coma.

Zeiss, way less distortion. (Samyang is wider so can take correction albeit mustache)

Zeiss better construction and takes filters,    Samyang still a good build level and can't take filters.

Samyang, you get to keep $2,000+ (enough to buy you the Fuji X-T2!  Rolleyes )

Both communicate to Nikon bodies.

Thanks Samyang!

The Zeiss should have less flare.

The Samyang has probably more field curvature I reckon.

It's a gamble to get a well centered Samyang 14mm.

davidmanze

Quote:The Zeiss should have less flare.

The Samyang has probably more field curvature I reckon.

It's a gamble to get a well centered Samyang 14mm.
Ah well centered lenses! Buy from a retailer who offers an exchange/refund. I found a copy on "le bon coin" the seller sent me an image of the sea wide open..horribly de-centered, that made me decide to go new.

I set infinity focus for 1/3rd in from the frame edge, so field of curvature is there but not really a problem compared to many WAs.

Flare is actually decently controlled on the AS second version too!

I'm sure you get my drift, we are talking $330 vs $2500 (approx)

The Sammy got great reviews here, and after all it's not a lens used so often.
I guess when that kind of money is involved, one would be better off just getting the Nikon 14-24. That said, I'm not seeing as much of the latter around as I used to. Some people have apparently switched to the 16-35/4 (even though Nikon's is not as good as Canon's, apparently).

Well, yes, the 14-24 is a marvel, too. And I would prefer it over the Zeiss, simply because it's a zoom. Reviewing the Distagon, I had quite some trouble finding subjects suitable for such a wide lens. It's just not my thing.

On the other hand: the flare on the Nikkor always drove me nuts. If I really wanted to have a fast wide angle lens, I might end up with either the Tokina or (more likely) the Tamron 15-30 VC.

Oh, yeah, the Tamron: yes, real soon now Smile

-- Markus
Although I don't use such category of lenses, however the best of the gang seems to be tamron 15-30f2.8 as per Dpreview tests this lens seems amazing, are you gonna review it any time soon >?

Quote:Well, yes, the 14-24 is a marvel, too. And I would prefer it over the Zeiss, simply because it's a zoom. Reviewing the Distagon, I had quite some trouble finding subjects suitable for such a wide lens. It's just not my thing.

On the other hand: the flare on the Nikkor always drove me nuts. If I really wanted to have a fast wide angle lens, I might end up with either the Tokina or (more likely) the Tamron 15-30 VC.

Oh, yeah, the Tamron: yes, real soon now Smile

-- Markus
Well, a lens this wide cannot be the only wideangle in one's arsenal... I own a Sigma 14mm f/2.8 but it's been paired with a succession of longer zooms - the 17-35L, then the 16-35L II, and now the 16-35 IS (reminds me of an old anecdote: "What is called consistency? When a woman is into her third marriage while keeping the same lover all along"). But 15mm is probably for those who only shoot primes since their next longer lens is probably the 21/2.8, as pairing this Distagon with a 16-xx or 17-xx zoom doesn't seem economical given its exorbitant price.

Markus, are you going to review the Nikon 14mm prime by chance?

P. S. Speaking of flare - I guess I have you all beat: the Sigma 14mm is the effin' queen - no, EMPRESS - of flare!

How does the Milvus lens differ. You said it appear to be same optics; is it just a new barallel at a new price point ?

Pages: 1 2