Opticallimits

Full Version: Starting all over again
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2

Wolf

I wrote a long reply to all of you and it would not post. I had signed in, so why would that be? I signed in again and now is looks to work. Oh well, I will try again later.

Wolf

Essentially, I was saying to klaus that the only major reason for changing from the EM1 is the AF tracking and the loss of seeing the subject when the EVF renews. Otherwise, MFT is fabulous and the Olympus system gives me everything I need for all my work, including studio with just the one exception of action photo, but that has become a deal breaker for me unfortunately. I could not dream of a better travelling system and the 75 f1.8 and the 40-150 f2.8 give me superb portraits, as do the 25 f1.8. The firmware update system is fantastic, like Fuji's and the fact that you can update lenses and housing in one shot is so easy. So no complaints in general about mirrorless, MFT and Olympus. Now, there are rumours about an EM2 for Fotokina and have any of you heard anything? At one point, the mirrorless manyfacturers will hopefully solve the phase detection problem and give us the Af tracking we all need. 

With respect to Fuji, I agree with all that has been said and could easily see myself using an XT2 if it were not for the AF tracking. 

Again I agree with Dave and Vinantonio's comments, which leads me in the direction of a D500 with the right lenses for normal work, plus the 300 f4 and the 200-500 or a Sigma 150-600 sport.

Thank you for all the replies and ideas, which will help me getting around my own thought process.

Wolf

I just checked the Olympus rumours and lo and behold it looks like there will be a new EM1 MKII to be sold as of September this year. The specifications are exciting, have a look here;

http://thenewcamera.com/category/olympus-rumors/ 

In short, a new 20MP sensor, new AF system for pro sports and action, dual card slots, etc. Maybe this is it!!

So far, I don't find the Oly specs hotter than X-T2's. But I don't know much about Olympus, except I find a crop factor of 2 slightly too much. Specs aside, I think both target the same user group and might be slightly different, but in general both have good glass available and there won't be huge gaps in performance, no?

If it comes to 200-500 vs. 150-600, Dave had the same decision to do by deciding between Tamron or Sigma. I think, he did the best (and heaviest and least versatile, but highest quality) decision by going second hand genuine prime. Especially now, since Professionals throw their old 500 / 600 / 800 on the market to get the new, lighter, better and more expensive versions.

As for the 300: I have that PF E version and like the lightweight very much, but need to be careful with shutter speeds around 1/160 and 1/250. The VR has some weak spots there, I believe.

Wolf

I agree with you Joju that there may be small differences between the MFT and Fuji specs, but for the fact that I am all equipped in Olympus for the time being. If, by chance the EM1 MKII should have good AF tracking, it would be very much less expensive for me to get a new housing than selling all my gear and buying new; Nikon or Fuji. That is why I will wait and see what Olympus brings and if miracles happen, I'll stay with it. If not, I change.

In another thread your describing your situation age, arthritis.

I see less than before that you want to step back and carry big DSLR equipment again. Especially because since there area already rumours about a Mk II of your Olympus, you will get even less. Same situation if one wants to sell DSLR now. If one gets the half price what it originally costed, it's a good deal... Okay, slightly exaggerating, 3/5 would be closer.

Of course, another thing is that your customers will expect you have a real camera and biiiiiig lenses which for a couple of people still has to have a mirror and being branded either Nikon or Canon.

davidmanze

Quote:So far, I don't find the Oly specs hotter than X-T2's. But I don't know much about Olympus, except I find a crop factor of 2 slightly too much. Specs aside, I think both target the same user group and might be slightly different, but in general both have good glass available and there won't be huge gaps in performance, no?

If it comes to 200-500 vs. 150-600, Dave had the same decision to do by deciding between Tamron or Sigma. I think, he did the best (and heaviest and least versatile, but highest quality) decision by going second hand genuine prime. Especially now, since Professionals throw their old 500 / 600 / 800 on the market to get the new, lighter, better and more expensive versions.

As for the 300: I have that PF E version and like the lightweight very much, but need to be careful with shutter speeds around 1/160 and 1/250. The VR has some weak spots there, I believe.
What gear are you still shooting in Nikon JoJu? On the one hand I hear Fuji Fuji, on the other Nikon still pops up every now and then!

I watched a video review of the new to be Fuji XT-2, a very impressive and beautiful camera indeed!

I still have D810, the 85/1.4 and 4 fast Sigma primes, Micro Nikkor 105, 300/4, 14-24, and the Sigma 24-105 brick.

At the moment I don't see myself selling that because there is, coming with he downside of heavy weight, the advantage of a good compromise for image quality and versatility.

At the moment I also see myself not going on on this road, and if the X-T2 will be able to track objects and deliver sufficient low light pictures, some die-hard Nkon shooters might get happy. I was thinking about conversing some Sigma lenses to sigma mount for an SD Quattro, but as long as Sigma is not able to deliver contemporary 64-bit software on a Mac (but on Windows they can...) I don't have a reason to invest money in a probably dead end system. As much as I like Foveon IQ, I have limits in my patience, when it comes to wait for a rendering.
Quote:I have been absent from the forum for a long time. during that time I sold all my Nikon gear, bought into Olympus EM1 with their best glass, including the 40-150 f2.8 + conv 1.4.  My photography includes wildlife, flying birds, nature and landscapes, travel, portraits and events and I print to A3+ at least. Unfortunately, the MFT sensor and the AF systems of the Olympus do not permit me to get the quality required for printing. I probably should have known, but I'm back to having to start all over. My thoughts are the Nikon D810 or D750 or D500 with the standard primes, 20, 35, 50, 85, 135 and the 200-500 f5.6 and/or the 300 f4VR with the converter. I could also go Canon. If I go Nikon, my main choice is between the D500 or one of the two full frames. 

I'd love to get the Pentaw K1, but the AF is not up to par for moving subjects so I forget that, but I really like the specs of that housing.

So Klaus, Brightcolours, all of you, give me your best input, because this is my last kit change and it needs to be the right one.
I imagine that wildlife and BIF is best done with a DSLR, and APS-C gives you more tele reach. You are used to Nikon, and the D500's AF system seems to be a step above that of the Canon 7D mk II. And Canon does not offer such an affordable 500mm option.

For the rest (Nature/landscapes/portraits) it depends on your lens choice (which depends on your personal preference and style) which camera suits you best.

In my opinion, FF's main advantage is possible less DOF. So, if very shallow DOF is not your objective, I think a D500 may be a good choice indeed.
Quote:I agree with you Joju that there may be small differences between the MFT and Fuji specs, but for the fact that I am all equipped in Olympus for the time being. If, by chance the EM1 MKII should have good AF tracking, it would be very much less expensive for me to get a new housing than selling all my gear and buying new; Nikon or Fuji. That is why I will wait and see what Olympus brings and if miracles happen, I'll stay with it. If not, I change.

I'd suggest you wait till after the E-M1 MkII has appeared. You may also want to check out the PanaLeica 100-400 - it is a lens used by several (professional) wildlife shooters.

HTH, kind regards, Wim
Pages: 1 2