Opticallimits

Full Version: next photozone lens test: laowa 105mm f2:0 STF
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
http://www.opticallimits.com/canon_eos_f...wa105f2stf

Just saw the review

I am the first to post it
Damn! ;-)

davidmanze

Well it just shows that it is possible to produce good resolution figures on the Canon 50 Mps sensor.

Very good showing from an interesting lens!

Just a question about the T aperture, is it just like the other aperture or it acts by just decreasing the amount of light entering without affecting DOF, because in the latter case it is very handy if you need to shoot outside wide open without having to add ND filters
"which is probably why neither Fujifilm nor Sony (Minolta) bothered with a secondary ring" ... the Sony 135 stf had a secondary aperture.
Quote:Just a question about the T aperture, is it just like the other aperture or it acts by just decreasing the amount of light entering without affecting DOF, because in the latter case it is very handy if you need to shoot outside wide open without having to add ND filters

The effect on the T vs f aperture isn't really described in the manual - it only says that you should use either aperture ring but not both in conjunction. The T aperture is stepless though thus this is the choice for movie lovers. 

I suppose in the very theory the T-ring controls the APD effect but at the end of the day it is also an aperture. I'm not sure why you really want to reduce the effect because that is the sole point of the lens. 
Yeah! The Old Frog has found its way to PZ! One more manufacturer to spice things up a little.

Quote:The effect on the T vs f aperture isn't really described in the manual - it only says that you should use either aperture ring but not both in conjunction. The T aperture is stepless though thus this is the choice for movie lovers. 

I suppose in the very theory the T-ring controls the APD effect but at the end of the day it is also an aperture. I'm not sure why you really want to reduce the effect because that is the sole point of the lens. 
... Beside it being a high quality fast short tele lens? Tongue And the first one to stick it to the 5DSR sensor? Smile

Also, my inner editor guy (after all, I have been working as an editor for almost 6 years!) has spotted a few typos.

Page 2, the Boken section:

"why Fujifilm didn't bothered"

Page 3, the verdict:

"but this one is a significant forward" (4th paragraph)

and

"Loawa" (5th paragraph)
Cool. Thx. 

Typical me (in two of those cases) - I correct something but don't check the whole sentence anymore. *sigh*

Say... are you going to test the Canon 100/2 on FF anytime soon?

felix

Nice review and surprisingly good performance! Do you know whether the Nikon version is as "dumb" as the Canon one or if it has an automatic aperture?

Many manual third-party lenses for Nikon have this feature as it does not require electronic communication with the body. Imho it would make the lens far more user-friendly...
Pages: 1 2