Opticallimits

Full Version: Possibly a Canon EF-M 28mm f3.5 IS STM macro on the horizon...
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3
Quote:but not fast enough to be really interesting. f/3.5 max? Gimme a break, man!
What is wrong with you? I have to give you a break??  Tongue

I have no idea why a macro lens needs to be faster than f3.5. Furthermore, not everybody wants shallow DOF. So, of course, a certain lens does not suit everyone for every application. Is that not normal?
MFD: 0.093m (9.3cm), 1.2x magnification, light switch on the barrel.

Light ring around the lens. Plastic mount (keeps it even cheaper and lighter).

[Image: canon_ef-m28macro_004.jpg]

http://digicame-info.com/2016/05/ef-m28m...s-stm.html

The least to be said that is that we have some novelty here with the light inside the lens, very attractive concept for a macro really tempting, only  disadvantage you have to be very close to your subject.

Dentists should love this lens 

Quote:What is wrong with you? I have to give you a break??  Tongue

I have no idea why a macro lens needs to be faster than f3.5. Furthermore, not everybody wants shallow DOF. So, of course, a certain lens does not suit everyone for every application. Is that not normal?
Right, not everybody does. Smile

Most people would stop down to kingdom come when shooting macros anyway.

Quote:What is wrong with you? I have to give you a break??  Tongue

"Gimme a break, man" is an English phrase used to express surprise and anger, if you are perhaps not so familiar with the English language.

Most macro-lenses I know and own have a max. aperture of 2.8, which is only half an f-stop, but nevertheless crucial - at least to me.
Quote:"Gimme a break, man" is an English phrase used to express surprise and anger, if you are perhaps not so familiar with the English language.

Most macro-lenses I know and own have a max. aperture of 2.8, which is only half an f-stop, but nevertheless crucial - at least to me.
And why is that crucial to you?

To have more options, to be more creative when it comes to pics witha wide-open lens,  to use lower ISO ... it's always better to have a fast lens ...

Quote:To have more options, to be more creative when it comes to pics witha wide-open lens,  to use lower ISO ... it's always better to have a fast lens ...
So you only buy f1.4 lenses.... As that is always better...
This is very much a macro lens first, and a general purpose prime second. Most macro users don't care much about using the lens wide open as lack of depth of field is often a problem. DSLR macro lenses tended to be f/2.8 as that was needed to maintain phase AF, as they were effective f/5.6 at 1x magnification (not sure how the 180mm f/3.5L gets around that). Contrast AF wouldn't have that limitation, although the possible hit to any phase AF on sensor might result in slower AF.

Quote:So you only buy f1.4 lenses.... As that is always better...
I did not say so, but obviously you know better :wub:
Pages: 1 2 3