Opticallimits

Full Version: I had the chance to be the first to test the new Trioplan 100mm 2.8 Lens
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.

Mathieu Stern

I recieved this box from MEYER-OPTIK-GÖRLITZ and inside is the new trioplan 100mm 2.8 for E mount

They sent it so i can review it for a month 
MEYER-OPTIK-GÖRLITZ recreated this lens with a kickstarter campagaign that got more than 359 451$ 

The first Trioplan was realeased 100 years ago and this new version is based on the original plans of the lens.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dX_UmG7-pqI
Nitpicking:

The bokeh is not a function of the aperture blades/shape/number. Bokeh disc shape is, only if you stop down of course.

And with this lens, where it mostly is about wide open shooting, the number of aperture blades or the shape of them is not very important.

The lens' main claim, bubble bokeh, does not really come out that well. It seems partly because you choose the wrong subjects/background, and because the lens simply does not have THAT strong a bokeh disc outline.

This is a better example of why the term is "bubble bokeh" (meyer diaplan 100mm f2.8),:

http://www.4photos.de/galerie/Natur/slid...-Makro.jpg

And a better subject and example for using it.

The swirly bokeh is because of the mechanical vignetting by the back of the lens.

Excellent review.

I'm slightly wondering about the first image of the bokeh. The inner discs look very "dirty" as if there's a massive amount of dust in the lens.

davidmanze

Indeed your bubble bokeh image "is" a great example of the genre of bokeh from that lens BC.

However the price of the Trioplan lens is bordering on criminal..... not to put too fine a point on it!

Meanwhile here's my somewhat more economical experiment of "bokeh games"...........  the stars you see here are certainly not the ones you get having just coughed up for the "Trioplan"........

.........they are of the €5 euro variety (inc. lens and adapter) from the Helios 44-2.....I've yet to find a situation to use it to effect....

Nice sample image, Dave. 

davidmanze

Thank you Klaus!

Just photo-printing paper cut out with scissors and a modeling knife to cut the star, then sprayed black.......placed next to the aperture blades......the rear element unscrews easily masks can be changed whilst out shooting...I've now a few shapes and apertures to try....

.........the effect works best at full aperture when focusing at a couple of meters with water jet/spray three meters or so behind that......unfortunately the Helios has little flare resistance so conditions have to be just right, so best when the sun is soft and low in the sky........

.......otherwise in a straightforward shot nothing happens and things look normal.

I'm waiting for a nice sunset at the model aircraft club where it's flat and open and we have piped water.

If your Canon or M4/3rds the Helios is a no brainer, the cheapest Chinese adapter and your off, it's a great little lens devoid of mechanical worries (after a CLA)

It's the flea market today.........who knows what more optical gems are awaiting........a €10 Trioplan?