Opticallimits

Full Version: new Olympus PEN-F
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
There are reviews/previews already out:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/history-...ons-review

https://www.ephotozine.com/article/olymp...iew--28758

But that front dial proves well that there can't be a perfect design... it may be so close but then someone will inevitably add something as stupid as the... "Creative Mode" selection dial.  :blink: I think it may become the stuff of legends, akin to the Direct Print button found on Canons of yore.  Rolleyes

I agree, that dial is a silly ugly wart. I guess they try to cater to the instagram generation.

Quote:I agree, that dial is a silly ugly wart. I guess they try to cater to the instagram generation.
They can't really do that unless the camera is connected and equipped with a client (or runs Android, anyway). No, this is probably just another case of someone on the top level saying "hey let's add this, it would be a cool thing to throw in" and nobody from below having the guts to say that the idea sucked rhino.

Quote:They can't really do that unless the camera is connected and equipped with a client (or runs Android, anyway). No, this is probably just another case of someone on the top level saying "hey let's add this,it would be a cool thing to throw in" and nobody from below having the guts to say that the idea sucked rhino.
The camera connects via WiFi to your smartphone.
Quote:The camera connects via WiFi to your smartphone.
For the hipster crowd, that might be one linkage too many. Tongue Besides, why would you need in-camera filters when you can add all kinds of wacky treatment - Lo-Fi, X-Pro II and whatnot - right in Instagram. Smile

Though I may be overly harsh... I'm an Instagram user myself... I stick the microSD card from the camera into the phone and post; or, better yet, edit the picture on my computer and re-upload to post (there's a Windows desktop client for Instagram, for sure, but the one I was using hasn't upgraded when Instagram dropped the mandatory square format, so I kicked it and chose not to find another one, using the phone instead).

soLong

Deleted
Hopefully in this new offering Oly will not use construction grade cable for the charger. It is so annoying.

I just bought M10.
The weirdest thing is the name: Olympus PEN-F. Styled after a rangefinder camera, using the name from the old Olympus Pen-F camera. But that camera was not a range finder camera. And did not look anything like this new PEN-F.

[Image: Olympus-Pen-F.jpg]

Oh the wonders of marketing.

Well, I think the similarity is there. It's not a copy but a decent modern re-evaluation. When they did get down to copying stuff, they did it for wrong reasons. Of course, I'm talking about that stupid wheel on the front - stupid now in function, not in form. Now such controls are better used for some functions that have a limited number of options - like drive mode, metering or maybe exposure compensation. But there it quickly gets fiddly because modern cameras now go to Â±5 and it's just too many small increments that would be difficult to hit precisely. More so with shutter speed and ISO because I imagine it could be a nightmare to find the right value among a mass of tiny clicks, especially if you're in a hurry.

Pages: 1 2