Opticallimits

Full Version: Finally: D500 announced (and D5 really official)
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Studor13

Quote:fast is your V1?

With "useless" I meant: I selected AF-C and focus priority, but apparently that doesn't apply to LV and AF-F. Focustracking is of course possible, but not in continuous burst. Rest assured - focus-tracking in "normal", none LV-mode is also missing a lot shots Wink

V1 is 1/16,000 with electronic shutter.

I know what you meant. I said I didn't agree with BC. You know, AKA (Also Known As) Bright Colors.
Quote:YES!

So in theory, if a DSLR has both a mechanical and an electronic shutter (not withstanding data flow bottlenecks) it could get to V1-esque speeds of 60 RAW fps?

BTW, I disagree with BC that "A high frame rate with no AF tracking, that hardly ever is a useful feature". There are many cases where you have one central point of interest but what you want is high fps.

For example, a tennis player serving, a golf swing or even freezing a bunch of bees going into their hives.
The tennis player serving and golf player swinging will have a subject distance change. No AF tracking  will result in a number of less than optimal in focus images.

AF tracking is all about subjects coming closer or going further away, it is not about subjects moving across the frame without distance change. So, I am confused about the "one central point of interest".

Studor13

If you want to shoot a golfer swinging, you would lock focus around his waist line. For almost the entire swing, his belly button is not going to move.

The last thing you would want is for the camera to follow his club because that is moving all over the place.

But I'm not so interested in golf.

Let me show you what I am interested in.

In the image attached you can see that the guy is not moving one centimeter. So clearly his head is the "One central point of interest". I don't need or want continuous focus at all.

But what I am more (much more) interested in is the "Exit shell". To get it needs either good timing, good luck or both. To increase my chances the higher the fps the more luck I will have.

Quote:If you want to shoot a golfer swinging, you would lock focus around his waist line. For almost the entire swing, his belly button is not going to move.

The last thing you would want is for the camera to follow his club because that is moving all over the place.

Like all people shots, you kinda want his face most in focus. Or the thing they are busy with which makes the shot important (a ball, a racket, a golf club). Not bellies.

Unrelated to your post, but about the D500:

I read its 4K is restricted by cropping the central part of the image. Lame, kinda? Again, Samsung's NX1 can do 4K without cropping, using the width of the sensor. And the GH4 also offers a bigger frame. Hmmm.

So both the D5 (FF, but limited to 3 minutes) and the D500 (central part of APS-C frame, 10 minutes recording) are not too serious a tools for 4K.

Studor13

Quote:Like all people shots, you kinda want his face most in focus. Or the thing they are busy with which makes the shot important (a ball, a racket, a golf club). Not bellies.

I think that if you were shooting Tiger Woods (or Roger Federer) and you had his belly in focus, his face would be well and truly in focus because you would be so far away that even at f1.2 the depth of field would be deep enough.

Anyway, we are swinging way off court now.

I was wrong about Nikon ever coming out with a "D400" but I am very happy that they have come out with something even better than what most people had thought possible.

And please, let us not get into how mirror-less full frames have such and such better features. This is a DSLR for pros or at least wannabee pros.

I don't cover sporting events as a pro but I have done enough to know that to get the job done you need:

1. Focus speed and accuracy

2. That the camera needs to work in all sorts of conditions

3. It can take a fair amount (lots of) bumps

4. Battery needs to last at least half a day

5. 5-6 frames per second with plenty of buffer in reserve (is enough for me)

6. Great straight out-of-the-camera JPEGs (People kid themselves with how important RAW is)

7. Great OVF

I'm sure there's more but "features" such as U1 and U2 are only for people like Ken Rockwell.
I agree that both the D5 and D500 are impressive cameras, at least on paper. Just found the 4K specs a bit silly.

davidmanze

.....Very impressive cameras!

"I'm sure there's more but "features" such as U1 and U2 are only for people like Ken Rockwell".

U1 and U2,  I wish they would do away with the "scenes" mode and have a U3. You can preset each  one for different AF modes and points aperture etc................. I miss more shots shots from the shooting situation changing and not having the  appropriate AF/points settings when waiting for birds than I ever do from missed PDAF!

I read Ken's criticism of no mode dial on the D5, I agree with him on that one!

It's not as if the new cameras were lacking of some kind of presets, But I find it very confusing to use "benches" for basic and advanced settings in the D810, which make in total 4 × 4 = 16 combinations of settings set (each with 133 possible base settings and 358 avanced) possible.

And having U1 and U2 presets in the D750. Even more confusing for owners of pro- and semi-pro models: While U settings are a base, you can always go back to and start fresh because you can willingly save them, each setting in a bench changes the whole set of this bench's presets immediately without an extra command "store user settings".

What I don't like, too: It's time-consuming and at times difficult to find the right setting. I counted some hundreds of possible changes on a D810, and each new body has more. Why not give the user an app to change settings on his big screen at home and see, how and what the differences are? After it's done, it could be transferred the same way user settings are transferred, or even better with bluetooth or WiFi. Scrolling through this tiny screen with the "multi-dial" really feels ancient.

Nikon's marketing calls the D5 a reportage-camera. I wonder how reporters being in a hurry navigate through this zoo of exotic settings... "focus points illuminated - yes/no/auto", and "focus points shown - manual focus/dynamic/focus point group" just as example. And we're not talking yet about the wordings or the translation... In German an AF-point is translated as "measure field LED". LEDs are a lot, but I never saw a black rectangular outline with rounded corners.

Summary: U settings would be much quicker to dial to - benches are always longer to change and very difficult to remember. Next to all other things we have in mind, a tool should be something to work with and not something you need a couple of weeks training.

davidmanze

Exactly JoJu,

When birding you don't know what's going to turn up,  AFA is what you want for BIF when there's a background (nearest object focus), but if a Kingfisher lands on a branch the nearest twig will be chosen and the bird is blurred, there you want AFC single point and so on.....

.....U1/U2 gives at the turn of a dial in instant setting for both.......additionally if you do change one setting ...it's quick to save to new settings ......(just press menu) ..........I use A for on the fly shooting......and occasionally S...

.........the scene mode harks to the gizmo settings that to me are a waste of space........

............birds don't rap their claws on branches waiting for you to dig into menus..........

davidmanze

The AF point array in the D5:

http://www.dpreview.com/opinions/7352408...lr?slide=3

The claimed 153 AF points turn out to give a less impressive coverage  than their numerical spec would lead us to believe, with 55 main points, the rest being intermediate ones.

Whereas the D500's AF array is well towards being horizontally perfect:

http://www.dpreview.com/opinions/7352408...lr?slide=4

The more I read the more I realize the real deal is with the D500, there are huge changes here including a 30 minute 4K,,....................

.......The D5 a lot less so, which ever way you look at it 3 minutes of 4K is just so in can wear the 4K badge...(une grosse déception!)...... but then it did jump from the D4S, which was always a very capable camera anyway!

so for 4K don't leave your iphone at home on the table!

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7