Opticallimits
new Sony Alpha A7 II (Japan only) - Printable Version

+- Opticallimits (https://forum.opticallimits.com)
+-- Forum: Forums (https://forum.opticallimits.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Sony (https://forum.opticallimits.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Thread: new Sony Alpha A7 II (Japan only) (/showthread.php?tid=1324)

Pages: 1 2

new Sony Alpha A7 II (Japan only) - Klaus - 11-20-2014

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=svbUXedWsbA

new Sony Alpha A7 II (Japan only) - stoppingdown - 11-20-2014

At dpreview the hot topic being discussed (not exactly in a focused way, as usual...) is the presence of the IBIS. I'd like to hear some opinion here.

new Sony Alpha A7 II (Japan only) - arvydas - 11-20-2014

If it only had been named Pentax... Smile)))

I do not know how IBIS will work on this camera, but on Pentax it works with any fully manual lens - you just need to input the FL. However, I have tried some Nikon VR lenses, and really liked stabilzed view in viewfinder.

A.

new Sony Alpha A7 II (Japan only) - Sylvain - 11-20-2014

Well, I must say Sony kicked my butt here... I didn't think we'd see that in a while !!

Very curious about first "beta testing" shutter shake, etc... but if it's anything like the Olympus one (which I'm sure it is) or even a fraction worse due to the sensor size, it's going to be an impressive thing.

I'm liking these more and more.

new Sony Alpha A7 II (Japan only) - Klaus - 11-20-2014

IBIS is better than ILIS. ILIS is a design flaw.

new Sony Alpha A7 II (Japan only) - popo - 11-20-2014

If, or should that be when they roll it out to the APS-C bodies, I think I might have my 2nd system... I still dream of having fast primes stabilised which I left behind when I sold the a350 years ago.

new Sony Alpha A7 II (Japan only) - Rainer - 11-20-2014

Quote:IBIS is better than ILIS. ILIS is a design flaw.

This really oversimplyfies it.

new Sony Alpha A7 II (Japan only) - Sylvain - 11-21-2014

Quote:This really oversimplyfies it.
Agreed, but Klaus has to relate to precise measurement systems where ILIS have shown many issues. It also creates another break point in the lenses. (See lensrentals stats : faulty is units)...

Now again, if you're not pixel peeping, I think they were an important innovation for the last 20 years, were they not :-)?

Back to Sony, I was wondering if Sony would have to make the A7 II sensor larger and to do cropping on the sensor based on shifting information or something ? I always get the impression the lens mount is so small it must be a design nightmare (Sigma said something along those lines). And how many mm do you think such sensor actually shift to compensate for shake?

new Sony Alpha A7 II (Japan only) - Guest - 11-21-2014

Quote:If it only had been named Pentax... Smile)))

I do not know how IBIS will work on this camera, but on Pentax it works with any fully manual lens - you just need to input the FL. However, I have tried some Nikon VR lenses, and really liked stabilzed view in viewfinder.

A.

The EVF is stabilized with IBIS. This isn't a DSLR  with optical viewfinder and unstabilized view

new Sony Alpha A7 II (Japan only) - Klaus - 11-22-2014

Quote:This really oversimplyfies it.

Just as an example:

The Canon 100-400L IS has an image stabilizer providing an equivalent again of 2 f-stops.

During its long lifespan, IBIS started at 2 f-stops and it's now at 4.5 f-stops and it will surely get even more efficient over time - thus you were able to "upgrade" your lens by upgrading your camera. And you simply upgrade your camera more often than your lenses.

All without a lesser deterioration of the optical system over time. You just can't imagine how sick I am regarding poorly centered lenses - mostly stabilized lenses.

The lens design can be simpler or better rather than having to balance the design with the needs of the ILIS. 

As as someone noted - with the inevitable rise of EVFs, you even got a stabilized view.

Thus IBIS is better. But that's just my view on this.