Opticallimits
Next PZ lens test report: Fujinon XF 50mm f/2 R WR - Printable Version

+- Opticallimits (https://forum.opticallimits.com)
+-- Forum: Forums (https://forum.opticallimits.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Fujifilm (https://forum.opticallimits.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Thread: Next PZ lens test report: Fujinon XF 50mm f/2 R WR (/showthread.php?tid=169)

Pages: 1 2

Next PZ lens test report: Fujinon XF 50mm f/2 R WR - mst - 09-14-2017

Really nice!

http://www.opticallimits.com/fuji_x/1014-fuji50f2

-- Markus

Next PZ lens test report: Fujinon XF 50mm f/2 R WR - wim - 09-14-2017

Nice lens indeed, but personally I do not think the bokeh is that great. One can see clearly that both in background and foreground there is doubling of lines, and although that may look ok regardless in many photographs, once you try to get the most out of a picture, in PP, it may be hard to get rid of the banding this causes around the sharp subject(s).

There are other lenses which do the same, like the Canon 85L Smile, which is why I tend to be very careful when processing any images shot with it. Lenses that have a much better transition from sharp to unsharp in this regard are, a.o., the Canon 135L, Canon old TS-Es (haven;t seen the new 50, 90 and 135 yet), Olympus 25 F/1.2 PRO and the Panasonic 42.5 F/1.7 (yes, you read it correctly, not the Panasonic Leica 42.5 F/1.2; that also shows this doubling in the background OOF area).

Kind regards, Wim

Next PZ lens test report: Fujinon XF 50mm f/2 R WR - JJ_SO - 09-14-2017

I agree with your view of the bokeh. The 56/1.2 in both versions is much nicer. And costlier, bigger, heavier and less weather resistant Smile There's also a very nice Sigma 60/2.8 Art but with the wrong mount. And the Zeiss Touit 50 mm Makro f2,8 T* which renders also nicely.

But this WR series is meant to be lightweight, small and affordable - the Zeiss costs twice.

Next PZ lens test report: Fujinon XF 50mm f/2 R WR - Brightcolours - 09-14-2017

The bokeh is way nicer than that of my Nikkor 50mm f2  Big Grin

Next PZ lens test report: Fujinon XF 50mm f/2 R WR - mst - 09-14-2017

Hmm, seems I've been shooting with wide angles too much recently Wink ok, let me think about rephrasing that section, so it doesn't sound too enthusiastic, I see the double lines you mentioned. However, won't happen before tomorrow, have some night life to enjoy in Prague right now, but plan to publish another review tomorrow (a boring FX review) on the train home.

Next PZ lens test report: Fujinon XF 50mm f/2 R WR - obican - 09-14-2017

Impressive lens. Sadly, this is the one of the Fujicrons that I'm least excited about. Still waiting for a 16/2.

Next PZ lens test report: Fujinon XF 50mm f/2 R WR - wim - 09-14-2017

Quote:Hmm, seems I've been shooting with wide angles too much recently Wink ok, let me think about rephrasing that section, so it doesn't sound too enthusiastic, I see the double lines you mentioned. However, won't happen before tomorrow, have some night life to enjoy in Prague right now, but plan to publish another review tomorrow (a boring FX review) on the train home.

It doesn't necessarily mean the bokeh is bad actually. The Canon 85L, I and II, is regarded to be a bokeh monster. That could very well be the same case in real life shoots with this lens, depending on how far fore- and background are separated.

Personally, for my own images, I tend to do a very large amount of PP, to achieve the exact effect I want to achieve. In that case you'll notice these "double lines" Essentially they are like sharp delineated halos around a subject when heavily pushed, which is why I personally do not like them. And it takes very careful processing, IME, to make these as invisible as possible.

Kind regards, Wim

Next PZ lens test report: Fujinon XF 50mm f/2 R WR - jkp2505 - 09-15-2017

The rating of 4.5 stars seems a bit generous TBH. After all, this is only a 50mm F/2 and it's being tested on a 16MP sensor.

I'm sure it's a good lens but it's neither cheap nor ambitious. Even the Sony E 50mm 1.8 seems better value when you take into account the OSS. Also the Fuji 60mm seems like a better choice given that it's equivalent to the classic 90mm focal length and has the extra versatility of macro. I have the 60mm and really like it.

P.S I've just noticed that when in the forums there's still a link to Sony NEX on the reviews menu and it goes to a 404, not sure if that's been pointed out already.

Next PZ lens test report: Fujinon XF 50mm f/2 R WR - mst - 09-15-2017

Ah, there we go again... we rate low, we're too critical or biased, we rate high, we're too generous Wink

Even if it's "just" a 50mm prime, there are definitely 50mm primes performing worse.

And it's debatable if 75mm is a less "classic" focal length than 90mm. It just has become uncommon outside of the rangefinder world (in full-frame contexts). Personally, I'd prefer it over the 60mm with its outdated AF drive. In fact, a X-Pro with both the 23/2 and the 50/2 would be very tempting to replace my current Leica setup.

P.S.: thx for the hint, will check...

Next PZ lens test report: Fujinon XF 50mm f/2 R WR - JJ_SO - 09-15-2017

Besides of the rating (the imo better 56/1.2 R got 3 1/2 - 4 ★): After I stupidly sold mine to exchange it for the "better" (according to Klaus) 56/1.2 R APD I was a bit frustrated: The AF in low light with the R version was okayish, the APD failed very often in darker situations. WIth that lens, there's no support for phase detection AF. only the slower contrast detection.

So I thought, the 50/2 WR is welcome, as the X-T2 is also claimed to be WR. I was hoping, it would improve the situation in low light AF. Not at all, I have to say. So much to "faster AF, contrary to the 60 macro"  Wink