Opticallimits
Fuji 55-200mm test delayed - Printable Version

+- Opticallimits (https://forum.opticallimits.com)
+-- Forum: Forums (https://forum.opticallimits.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Fujifilm (https://forum.opticallimits.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Thread: Fuji 55-200mm test delayed (/showthread.php?tid=1692)

Pages: 1 2

Fuji 55-200mm test delayed - Klaus - 10-19-2013

The word decentering doesn't really describe the situation. 

The QC has been terrible with this one.

During the field tests, the zoom ring jammed at times.

It wasn't able to produce a single sharp image with activated IS no matter how much I closed the aperture.

And, of course, massive decentering.

While I really like Fuji on paper their lens QC is as dismal as Sigma during its worst times.

Sigma came back. I just hope that Fuji can follow at some stage.

I have had an defect rate of 50% so far.

Fuji 55-200mm test delayed - Guest - 10-19-2013

This is pretty sad Sad Have you asked Fuji to comment on the situation ? Actually I'm goign to a local trade show in two weeks. If fuji rep is there I might make a comment along the lines of really liking the system but worried about QC.

Fuji 55-200mm test delayed - Max Metz - 10-20-2013

Thanks for the update Klaus, very much appreciated and sorry to hear about your ongoing bad luck with Fuji  lenses.

After having the x-e1 18-55mm kit for a while now, I love it, especially in low light as the image stabalization and spot metering are remarkably effective. This low light performance has had me doing the numbers on the image stabalization benefit for the 55-200mm.

As for QC - my camera had a faulty onboard flash and rear screen, Fuji Australia rectified both problems in very short order and its been a trouble free run since. I suggest dropping the lens off to them for either a replacement or adjustment, their service has been top notch for me.

Have a great week mate and I look forward to your upcoming 55-200mm review.

Fuji 55-200mm test delayed - joachim - 10-20-2013

Quote:The word decentering doesn't really describe the situation. 

The QC has been terrible with this one.

During the field tests, the zoom ring jammed at times.

It wasn't able to produce a single sharp image with activated IS no matter how much I closed the aperture.

And, of course, massive decentering.

While I really like Fuji on paper their lens QC is as dismal as Sigma during its worst times.

Sigma came back. I just hope that Fuji can follow at some stage.

I have had an defect rate of 50% so far.

I am not impressed.  I lost track on the issues.  Were all the troubled lenses featuring IS?  Were all as severe as this?

Thanks

Joachim

Fuji 55-200mm test delayed - frank - 10-20-2013

Frankly, the QC issue makes me away from Fuji---until the QC improves significantly, at least.

Fuji 55-200mm test delayed - Klaus - 10-20-2013

Quote:I am not impressed.  I lost track on the issues.  Were all the troubled lenses featuring IS?  Were all as severe as this?

Thanks

Joachim

The 35/1.4 and 18-55mm had "just" centering issues. The 35 was completely out-of-spec, the 18-55 was soso.

The only decent thing about the 55-200 is the outer build quality. After purchasing I just checked the center manually - this showed no issue so I didn't expect all the following problems. I've never had a jamming issue with a zoom lens so far. 

Fuji 55-200mm test delayed - joachim - 10-20-2013

So the non-OIS 35 mm lens is also affected. That's bad Sad

Fuji 55-200mm test delayed - frank - 10-21-2013

I have seen people who bought an XE-1 without any Fuji lenses. They use the camera with other brand old lenses with converters--I don't know if the converter reports the aperture information to the camera or not.

Fuji 55-200mm test delayed - deng - 10-21-2013

Klaus,

I just registered to reply.

Unfortunately I've seen quite a lot complaints about 55-200 jamming (and being unuseable thereafter).

One of the first reports I've seen:

http://www.fujix-forum.com/index.php/topic/11817-55-200-broken/

The reports stopped coming lately so my hope is that it was only a bad batch, not a faulty design.

Received my copy a week ago (i'ts from the recent batch), so far so good.

Regards

Fuji 55-200mm test delayed - Guest - 10-22-2013

Quote:I have had an defect rate of 50% so far.
The miserable QC is just one part of the problem. Assuming Fuji would perfom no QC whatsoever your 50% figure would indicate that 1 out 2 lenses they produce is more or less defective. With "some" QC in place this figure would be even more worrying. In other words, Fuji has not only a QC problem - it´s their production which performs poorly to begin with.