Opticallimits
Canon EOS 6D - Printable Version

+- Opticallimits (https://forum.opticallimits.com)
+-- Forum: Forums (https://forum.opticallimits.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Just Talk (https://forum.opticallimits.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+--- Thread: Canon EOS 6D (/showthread.php?tid=2222)

Canon EOS 6D - Klaus - 09-17-2012

So we finally got the "EOS 3" cam ...

http://www.canon-europe.com/For_Home/Product_Finder/Cameras/Digital_SLR/EOS_6D/

The AF looks good.

Canon EOS 6D - Brightcolours - 09-17-2012

Nice: the comparatively lower weight. Even lower than the Sony A99 and Nikon D600. And the changable focus screens.. Really nice to have an Eg-S screen as extra.

Not so nice: the LCD being fixed. Slight drawback: the viewfinder not having 100% coverage.

For many the GPS will be a nice feature, for me the WiFi seems a handy feature.

Canon EOS 6D - Guest - 09-17-2012

[quote name='Klaus' timestamp='1347870538' post='20138']

The AF looks good.

[/quote]

I read in other places that only the center point is cross type. - Not so good.

Canon EOS 6D - HarryLally - 09-17-2012

The AF looks good.

[/quote]

For me the most appealing spec is that it's 180g lighter than the 5dIII. AF looks a bit weak with only one cross sensor. And with yet another new FF sensor, I hope Canon have at last cracked the problem of the shadow noise and banding in their DSLRs. Otherwise, I can see them falling further behind Nikon whose D600 seems a much better camera at a similar price point. Alas I've gor far too much invested in Canon L glass to change systems, but if I were starting out now, I'd go the Nikon route.

Michael

Canon EOS 6D - mst - 09-17-2012

[/quote]

Well, yes, but already quite a while ago with the 5D III, IMO. The EOS 3 was basically an EOS 1 in a smaller body. That's hardly the case with the 6D.

Don't get me wrong, this looks like a very capable camera. But unlike the 5D III, which to me has the edge over the D800, the 6D seems to fall short compared to the D600 in most regards (not all though).

The last page of the preview over at dpr sums it up quite nicely, IMO.

-- Markus

Canon EOS 6D - Klaus - 09-17-2012

AF sensitivity: -3EV

[quote name='tomri' timestamp='1347874550' post='20141']

I read in other places that only the center point is cross type. - Not so good.

[/quote]

Much more important to if it is cross type, double cross type or just a vertical or horizontal one, is how well the AF system works. One can not tell that from cross or not.

[quote name='mst' timestamp='1347875859' post='20143']

Well, yes, but already quite a while ago with the 5D III, IMO. The EOS 3 was basically an EOS 1 in a smaller body. That's hardly the case with the 6D.

Don't get me wrong, this looks like a very capable camera. But unlike the 5D III, which to me has the edge over the D800, the 6D seems to fall short compared to the D600 in most regards (not all though).

The last page of the preview over at dpr sums it up quite nicely, IMO.

-- Markus

[/quote]

The 5D mk III seems to be better in most departments (performance wise, not just spec wise) compared to the D800 except in two areas: sensor resolution and low ISO noise performance.

I agree that spec wise, the D600 appears more complete. How they both perform in various areas will have to be tested yet. I think the 6D may just have a better AF system than just looking at the AF point specs.

The 6D does seem to have the nicer LCD (3:2, same as the 5D mk III). I like that it has the Eg-S focus screen available. Both seem to be very nice cameras, but both still have a quite high introduction price...

Canon EOS 6D - Guest - 09-17-2012

[quote name='Brightcolours' timestamp='1347879260' post='20147']

The 5D mk III seems to be better in most departments (performance wise, not just spec wise) compared to the D800 except in two areas: sensor resolution and low ISO noise performance. [/quote]

I highly doubt that, different cameras for different purposes.

[quote name='Brightcolours' timestamp='1347879260' post='20147']

I agree that spec wise, the D600 appears more complete. How they both perform in various areas will have to be tested yet. I think the 6D may just have a better AF system than just looking at the AF point specs.[/quote]

At the same price as the D600 the buyer begins to look at the spec. And here the D600 outperforms the 6D by a wide margin:

- AF system (39 point vs. 11 point)

- frame rate (5.5 vs 4.5 FPS)

- megapixel count (24.3 vs 20.3)

- DR (14 stop + vs 11 stop)

- artificial horizon (the D600 has it)

- Nikon's 100% VF display is much better than Canon's

- intervalometer (D600 has it)

- 150000 vs 100000 frame shutter

- dual card slots (Nikon) versus single

- clean HDMI video (Nikon) vs none

- internal flash vs. no flash

and so on.

The D600 looks like a much better specified camera, apart from those two missing features (GPS and WiFi).

Sorry, but if I were a Canon user I would be very very dissapointed.

best regards

Claus

Canon EOS 6D - mst - 09-17-2012

[quote name='Claus' timestamp='1347882427' post='20154']

I highly doubt that, different cameras for different purposes.

[/quote]

Not really. The 5D is simply a much more versatile tool. Both target a very similar user group (high end enthusiasts and professionals). And in summary the 5D III, as has often been stated here and elsewhere already, offers the more attractive and "complete" package (at least for those who are free to choose).

[quote name='Claus' timestamp='1347882427' post='20154']

The D600 looks like a much better specified camera, apart from those two missing features (GPS and WiFi).

[/quote]

Yep, but one more feature in favor of the Canon: I expect it to clearly outperform the D600 when set to high ISOs.

-- Markus