Opticallimits
IBIS coming to fuji cameras - Printable Version

+- Opticallimits (https://forum.opticallimits.com)
+-- Forum: Forums (https://forum.opticallimits.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Fujifilm (https://forum.opticallimits.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Thread: IBIS coming to fuji cameras (/showthread.php?tid=235)

Pages: 1 2

IBIS coming to fuji cameras - thxbb12 - 07-04-2017

Quote:It is a little funny, because IBIS DOES stabilize the image in the VF. Maybe not the first versions of it, but certainly with the current versions of Olympus OM-D bodies.

It also works with long lenses, f.e., with the Oly 300 Pro (a 600 mm lens effectively).

Kind regards, Wim

Markus was talking about IBIS in DSLRs where it obviously cannot stabilize the OVF.

IBIS coming to fuji cameras - davidmanze - 07-05-2017

In all the years of shooting Pentax I have "never ever" heard on the forums or other, of a breakdown of their SR system...not once!

The Giros are in chip tuning fork type wafer ceramic crystals and produce a voltage by inertia, similar to crystal ceramic record player pick ups, there is nothing to go wrong there. The sensor moves between ball bearings and again reliability is extremely high.

Of course there's no viewfinder VR with a DSLR, where there is with ML.

Reliability will  be higher with IBIS compared with ILIS just because of better support of the sensor than for the floating elements in a lens...

..not to mention the clever tricks Pentax have done with the system like; astrotracer (star tracking) pixel shifting ( 4 stacked images to get RBG at every pixel) simulated LPF as well as image composition adjustment, all very powerful tools indeed!

Bring on IBIS Nikon!

IBIS coming to fuji cameras - Rover - 07-05-2017

Quote:Sure... however, thinking back over the last 10 to 15 years or so, I remember only one IS/VR failure on one of the lenses I owned or handled. Several AF failures during the same period, though.

In other words: yes, ILIS adds to the complexity of a lens, but from my experience it isn't particularly prone to failure.

The potential decentering issue Klaus mentioned earlier remains of course.

That's how I meant it. Plus, on a DSLR, ILIS will help the AF do its job, too, especially with long focal lengths.

-- Markus
I have witnessed a blatant IS failure among my gear, once. The stabilizer on my old Canon 17-55/2.8 lens went out after just 2 months of usage (I bought the lens brand new) and started acting erratically. The lens was repaired for this failure (and another unrelated one) free of charge under warranty. Just FYI. Smile

IBIS coming to fuji cameras - Klaus - 07-06-2017

The difference between an AF failure and a IS failure is:

- the AF is either dead or alive

- the IS may be dead or alive or something in between and that something in between (decentering) is not rare

So the two don't really compare.

IBIS coming to fuji cameras - davidmanze - 07-06-2017

I hark back to my AF-S 70-300mm VRII bought cheaply S/H (80 euros/fault known)

Strangely when turning on the camera the VR works while half pressing the shutter button, let go and the image in the viewfinder drops twice (clunk cluck and dropping way down) as the VR goes into standby, it will not restart again until either the camera has come out of  standby mode or the camera is re-switched on, then half pressing again brings it back to life.

In order to use it I set the standby on the camera to 4 secs. either you have to keep half button focusing during shooting and or rewake the camera after it's 4 sec doze.

I've puzzled as to if the lens had taken a tumble and broken the stops that prevent the VR lens elements from moving too much inside, however what causes the VR to not restart when focusing again without the camera also coming out of standby, I don't understand. I've been in and fixed the AF but have never looked at the VR system which Nikon want €300 to repair!

I have responded to at least two other forums posters who have exactly the same fault!

I am surprised however that VR is as reliable as it is.

IBIS coming to fuji cameras - JJ_SO - 07-06-2017

For me IBIS will be a reason not to buy the camera. And I know I might be wrong, but with two Pentax cameras I always had focus problems. Or expected more sharpness than they actually could deliver. I know, stabilisation can be a help when having no tripod at hand, but I also experienced failing of these techniques and have enough lenses without VR. Then I am sure nothing moves in a way I can not foresee.

IBIS coming to fuji cameras - thxbb12 - 07-06-2017

Quote:For me IBIS will be a reason not to buy the camera. And I know I might be wrong, but with two Pentax cameras I always had focus problems. Or expected more sharpness than they actually could deliver. I know, stabilisation can be a help when having no tripod at hand, but I also experienced failing of these techniques and have enough lenses without VR. Then I am sure nothing moves in a way I can not foresee.

Pentax is notorious for their slow unreliable AF, especially in older models (K10, K20, K5). I "vouch" for them. It has nothing to do with IBIS but everything to do with their AF module.

Olympus has IBIS in all their cameras and the sharpness is absolutely exemplary. The only thing than can potentially affect sharpness is shutter shock on certain models (the E-M1 is particularly bad in this respect).

Check Robin Wong's work if you have doubht about the sharpness you can get from Olympus gear:

https://robinwong.blogspot.ch/2016/09/olympus-mzuiko-25mm-f12-pro-lens-review.html

IBIS coming to fuji cameras - jimeryhowits - 10-26-2017

you have absolutely right

RE: IBIS coming to fuji cameras - WyldRage - 08-28-2018

Olympus has it, recent Sony and Panasonic bodies have it, Nikon Mirrorless has it, Canon full frame mirrorless camera is rumored to have it.

Hopefully, IBIS will make its way to lower tiered Fuji bodies, or they will risk being left behind. It makes sense that the X-T3 won't have it to avoid impacting the sales of the very recent X-H1, but in the long term I expect the Tx/Hx line will have to merge in the face of increased price pressure from the FF trio and of the need to simplify the lines.