Opticallimits
The D7500 has arrived (@ 20mp) - Printable Version

+- Opticallimits (https://forum.opticallimits.com)
+-- Forum: Forums (https://forum.opticallimits.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Nikon (https://forum.opticallimits.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: The D7500 has arrived (@ 20mp) (/showthread.php?tid=347)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

The D7500 has arrived (@ 20mp) - Klaus - 04-12-2017

http://imaging.nikon.com/lineup/dslr/d7500/

The D7500 has arrived (@ 20mp) - JJ_SO - 04-12-2017

Yaaawwwnn? [Image: bored20x18.gif]

350,- cheaper than D500, slower fps and touchscreen not thought through. This touchscreen in only 1 axis articulated? Focus points selectable by touch only in LiveView? One more DSLR to remain in the shelves.

In camera AF adjustment - standard at D5 and D500 - not available? Right Nikon, do castrate your models just by software, customers will run for it  :lol:

The D7500 has arrived (@ 20mp) - Klaus - 04-12-2017

Well, they are in minimal efforts, maximum effect mode.

To be fair - Canon has been playing that game ever since the 50D. 

Let's face - what were the last "real" innovations in DSLR space ?

- Pentax in-body IS

- Sony's SLT 

Anything else ?

Ever since about 2010 new DSLR releases bored me to death.

The D7500 has arrived (@ 20mp) - JJ_SO - 04-13-2017

I agreee.

Nikon's in-camera AF adjustment "kind-of-semi-automatic" comes in mind, even if a bit half hearted.

Pentax did a lot of things with moving sensor besides of in-body IS like high resolution multi-exposure, you even can shift the sensor a tiny bit and it has a star tracking mode.

Canon's dual AF also would come on the list. 

After reading Nasim's comments, I have to correct myself (and guess where he knows that feature from?): There will be in-body-AF-adjustment. But no second card slot (pardon me? all D7xxx had that, why stopping now?) and no ability to use a grip (thank you Nikon, because your genuine grips suck without exception! expensive, made cheaply and wobbly, no additional use).

Nasim's final comment:

Quote:I will be honest with you though – I would much rather see DX lens releases. Nikon is putting yet another nail in its coffin by announcing more DX cameras than lenses…

Nothing to add from my side

The D7500 has arrived (@ 20mp) - Brightcolours - 04-13-2017

Quote:Well, they are in minimal efforts, maximum effect mode.
To be fair - Canon has been playing that game ever since the 50D. 

Let's face - what were the last "real" innovations in DSLR space ?
- Pentax in-body IS
- Sony's SLT 
Anything else ?

Ever since about 2010 new DSLR releases bored me to death.
Pentax did not come first with in-body IS, that was Konica-Minolta. Even the "SLT" was done way before Sony, by Canon going all the way back to 1965.

But Pentax did a bit more with the moving sensor. And the SLT is in DSLR world still unique - so why did not Canon refresh their invention? The disadvantage of SLT is loosing light for both, finder and sensor, so I just think, Canon didn't want to receive tons of negative comments about that.

The D7500 has arrived (@ 20mp) - Brightcolours - 04-13-2017

Quote:But Pentax did a bit more with the moving sensor. And the SLT is in DSLR world still unique - so why did not Canon refresh their invention? The disadvantage of SLT is loosing light for both, finder and sensor, so I just think, Canon didn't want to receive tons of negative comments about that.
If you look at Sony's SLT..
  • The first 2 models had ghost light issues due to bad implementation of the mirror.
  • Indeed, you do lose light to the imaging sensor.
  • You lose the OVF.
  • I have tried an SLT Sony a few times, and it is pretty horrid to see the too low frequency LCD flicker and lag and look harsh and not right.
  • You use live view all the time with the SLTs, creating sensor heat and wasting battery power.
I do not get the SLT idea. The Sony SLTs don't do anything better than normal DSLRs. Canon did not ditch the concept for no reason, I guess. Advancements in shutter and mirror mechanics (speed) made the pellicle mirror obsolete for them.

Well the advantage is a steady mirror therefore in theory a faster fps without any highly precise AND robust mirror mechanics - this saves money for the manufacturer at first place. Speaking of battery life - this memory users of mirrorless cameras need to let go. At times I see the battery indicator bars walk out of the display. Walk, not run  Big Grin but still, imagining a full day normal shooting with one battery - that's running into the trap of wishful thinking.

The D7500 has arrived (@ 20mp) - Klaus - 04-13-2017

No viewfinder blackout comes also into mind there (with full electronic shutter).

About the OVF - you may debate whether this is a disadvantage. ;-)

Due to the lack of mirror slap, it light loss is at least partially compensated.

Just mentioning - you will never realize the measured LW/PHs of the 5Ds R in the real world with activated mirror (the tests are done in live mode).