Opticallimits
Nikon Z launched - Printable Version

+- Opticallimits (https://forum.opticallimits.com)
+-- Forum: Forums (https://forum.opticallimits.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Nikon (https://forum.opticallimits.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: Nikon Z launched (/showthread.php?tid=4137)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20

RE: Nikon Z launched - Brightcolours - 08-29-2018

As Canon shutter, I have an expected life of about 100.000 actuations. I have no expansion for Nikon D850.

RE: Nikon Z launched - JJ_SO - 08-29-2018

(08-29-2018, 06:52 AM)miro Wrote: PS: As Canon shutter I have expansion for D850 shortage. Nikon cannot make SLRs :-)
Well they can not make DSLRs and you can't write comprehensive English. Try using DeepL.com to translate...

On Nikon Rumors I found a link to an interview Imaging resource led with 3 Nikon engineers: https://www.imaging-resource.com/news/2018/08/28/nikon-z7-engineer-interview-deep-dive-q

It's lengthy and in some parts interesting while in other parts the engineers don't answer well - or can't answer because it's proprietary information.

The flange distance is the shortest of available systems. The diameter is very big because the engineers see f/0.95 only as "a step" but don't want to end there - meaning, wider apertures will come in the future.
As well as S-lenses will occasionally get low price colleagues and a cheaper body as well.

With FTZ adapter it's only PDAF measuring, no CDAF

The battery "grip" is also switching the display, so it's really only a stupid, additional battery compartment to screw under the camera - I guess it's meant for long time-lapses.

Not much to read about firmware versions and what will get fixed, or how they plan to update the camera in the future.

But one big deal - at least for me - is, thatwe read a lot about DLSR lenses are not meant to focus well in mirrorless cameras, something which was spread by a brand unnamed in the interview. The Nikon engineers say, DLSR lenses will focus as fast and reliable as they focus in DLSRs.

"Whatever the cause, it does seem that the Z7 loses a significant amount of its low-light AF ability when shooting with lenses slower than f/2. Whether this is a limitation of its PDAF system or an overall limitation of the Z7's hybrid AF system is unclear."

Takeaway for me: Good to have a lot of f/1.4 F-lenses, no high expectations about the telezooms (but for them I still keep DSLRs) and if Canon manages to bring dual pixel AF in their edition of a MILC, Nikon will only see dust in terms of sport or wildlife photography... Big Grin

RE: Nikon Z launched - Brightcolours - 08-29-2018

Canon already has DP AF in their current MILCs and DSLRs Wink

If the 1st Canon FF MILC will have the 6D mk II's sensor, at least people can argue about "low DR" Big Grin

RE: Nikon Z launched - Klaus - 08-29-2018

Bigger apertures than f/0.95?
And I thought it is already silly to mount a 70-200mm f/2.8 to an Alpha 7 ...

Maybe a 12mm/f0.5... or (more realistic?) 35/0.9

Big Grin

Anyway, one bigger problem due to the very short flange distance: So far it was not very important to keep the backend of the lens dustfree, sensor also had sort of tolerance to small dust particles, but now we will see sharper shapes of dust. The time I saved with no more finetuning I can spend now with much more cleaning... Big Grin

RE: Nikon Z launched - miro - 08-29-2018

(08-29-2018, 02:11 PM)Brightcolours Wrote: Canon already has DP AF in their current MILCs and DSLRs Wink

If the 1st Canon FF MILC will have the 6D mk II's sensor, at least people can argue about "low DR" Big Grin

+1
Canon 6D MK2 is gaining success in video world. Many videographers switch from Panasonic GHx to Canon 6D MK2

(08-29-2018, 08:08 AM)JJ_SO Wrote: Well they can not make DSLRs and you can't write comprehensive English. Try using DeepL.com to translate...
Thanks for suggestion but, I'm bad writer even in my native language. Yes better tool will help a little bit but I will not become writer :-) Same applies for photography :-)

(08-29-2018, 01:56 PM)JJ_SO Wrote: DLSR lenses will focus as fast and reliable as they focus in DLSRs.

"Whatever the cause, it does seem that the Z7 loses a significant amount of its low-light AF ability when shooting with lenses slower than f/2. Whether this is a limitation of its PDAF system or an overall limitation of the Z7's hybrid AF system is unclear."
Few fundamental questions. 
1. What is the max aperture of Z7 PDAF, and then in which frame area?
2. Do they switch from PDAF to CDAF for fine focus with fast glass?

1. Max. or min. aperture? Max. would be something like f/0.95, min. something like f/8... For max. aperture in PDAF I don't think there's a limit. For min.? That depends very much fo the available brightness, but Fuji X-T2 stops focusing at -1EV and that happens quicker than I'd like to see.
2. I could not tell at the moment, if stopping down the lens to focus (like it was reported) does also happen when the body has to switch to PDAF.

RE: Nikon Z launched - JJ_SO - 08-31-2018

Just came back from a teeny weeny "launch event" with Nikon CH at a dealer. I'm impressed by the camera, tried two Sigmas on it and I never saw them working in LiveView as snappy as now. Startup time is rather quick. FTZ adapter has not the same level as the bottom plate of the camera. Tried a solmeta geotagger and it worked excellent. Shutter is already very silent. Lenses (24-70 and 35) are rather nice and compact as the whole system doesn't feel that much bigger than a Fuji X-T2. Contrary to the P1000 they also had on Display, the Z7 was small and lightweight. AF-ON button is in the wrong place, this time again... Overriding lens manually in AF-C: no problem Smile

RE: Nikon Z launched - davidmanze - 09-02-2018

The beat goes on with the ZZZsssss!

We are now hearing that the battery grip is in fact just that.............a grip with a battery lodgement......no vertical shutter button......no adjustments can be made to the camera........a box with a hole for a battery????.........to be confirmed of course.

To be continued of course!