Opticallimits
Your suggestions, my photos are on hard disks doing nothing.... - Printable Version

+- Opticallimits (https://forum.opticallimits.com)
+-- Forum: Forums (https://forum.opticallimits.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Just Talk (https://forum.opticallimits.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+--- Thread: Your suggestions, my photos are on hard disks doing nothing.... (/showthread.php?tid=4593)

Pages: 1 2

Your suggestions, my photos are on hard disks doing nothing.... - toni-a - 12-10-2019

I noticed I have plenty of gear and I have a lot of keepers but I am doing almost nothing with them.
I am considering having an  online gallery.
My wishlist:

easy to navigate galleries 
ability to create albums and not just bulk upload for photos 
possibility of comments, likes are irrelevant for me 
"light" pages that do not consume a lot of bandwidth not related to the pictures themselves (animations, videos, adds) since internet in Lebanon is slow 
free service (capital control applied in Lebanon all payments abroad  need special authorization)
possibility of liking to image URL

things that are not very relevant for me
total storage space: I don't need gigabytes
online printing : this service doesn't exist here

RE: Your suggestions, my photos are on hard disks doing nothing.... - Brightcolours - 12-10-2019

Why are they keepers, according to you? Who would have an interest in them? Only you and for instance family because they are in them or it is about events they were part of? If so, why an online gallery?
There are (too) many meaningless galleries online, so first figure out your audience.

RE: Your suggestions, my photos are on hard disks doing nothing.... - toni-a - 12-10-2019

Of course I am not posting online private family pictures... Nor event pictures....

RE: Your suggestions, my photos are on hard disks doing nothing.... - Brightcolours - 12-10-2019

So, what is it you do want to "post"? And what is the audience you envision?

RE: Your suggestions, my photos are on hard disks doing nothing.... - toni-a - 12-10-2019

It's a mixture of nature photography, landscape (mostly seascapes) plus street photography, and lately some birding
Don't care about the number of people seeing them, it's just to make use of the photos and not just shooting editing and saving on hard disks.
OTOH I would appreciate useful comments and critique, absolutely don't care about ratings or number of likes.

RE: Your suggestions, my photos are on hard disks doing nothing.... - MatjazO - 12-11-2019

Lightroom with cloud. Basic with 20GB will do.

Yes, it is Adobe and it is subscription based. Yet it is great. It works for me. Simple to set up a gallery as well as to share with whoever you choose.

RE: Your suggestions, my photos are on hard disks doing nothing.... - toni-a - 12-11-2019

(12-11-2019, 07:44 AM)MatjazO Wrote: Lightroom with cloud. Basic with 20GB will do.

Yes, it is Adobe and it is subscription based. Yet it is great. It works for me. Simple to set up a gallery as well as to share with whoever you choose.

I don't need online storage but online galleries to share and discuss pictures. 
No online payments from Lebanon because of capital control imposed by Lebanese banks because of current country situation

RE: Your suggestions, my photos are on hard disks doing nothing.... - davidmanze - 12-12-2019

(12-10-2019, 02:36 PM)Brightcolours Wrote: Why are they keepers, according to you? Who would have an interest in them? Only you and for instance family because they are in them or it is about events they were part of? If so, why an online gallery?
There are (too) many meaningless galleries online, so first figure out your audience.
 Such questions ! ..... ask Flickr  ..... Facebook .... Smugmug .... etc ....... maybe they know the reason for their existence ....... (maybe, part of it is the pleasure of sharing)

.... your audience is a proportion of the general public ...... and there's absolutely no need to figure who they are .....

..... they will find you ...... whatever site you choose !!

...... strangely, although most sites welcome comments ..... criticism is generally considered bad form ..... and I never see it on Flickr.

RE: Your suggestions, my photos are on hard disks doing nothing.... - JJ_SO - 12-12-2019

Although I'm on SmugMug for like 5 or 6 years now, the only comments I get are from one person I share my "pictures of / made with new gear" beacuse it's easier to comment next to the photograph.

For most people, me included, the inhibition threshold is too high. And what does it mean to a person wether I like or dislike a pic? On the few occasions I commented, I never got a reply although I was asking something.

RE: Your suggestions, my photos are on hard disks doing nothing.... - Brightcolours - 12-12-2019

(12-12-2019, 08:11 AM)davidmanze Wrote:
(12-10-2019, 02:36 PM)Brightcolours Wrote: Why are they keepers, according to you? Who would have an interest in them? Only you and for instance family because they are in them or it is about events they were part of? If so, why an online gallery?
 Such questions ! ..... ask Flickr  ..... Facebook .... Smugmug .... etc ....... maybe they know the reason for their existence ....... (maybe, part of it is the pleasure of sharing)

.... your audience is a proportion of the general public ...... and there's absolutely no need to figure who they are .....

..... they will find you ...... whatever site you choose !!

...... strangely, although most sites welcome comments ..... criticism is generally considered bad form ..... and I never see it on Flickr.
Ask Flickr what? Who is waiting for another pointless Flickr poster? Ask Facebook what? Which the same friends are who always like whatever post you made? Ask Smugmug what? Why no one ever goes there? ..... .......... .. .

.... . . ...... .. . He asks about a gallery, and you only come up with 2 "social media" photoupload websites that have the attraction of a dead zombie, and Facebook. 

If it is about the pleasure of sharing to your friends, there is indeed Facebook, and I am quite sure that is not what Toni is looking for. .. ... .... ..... ...... ....... ........ ......... ..........

As far as "social media" goes, only Instagram comes to mind. But that is not so much about a "gallery" than about a slowish, constant trickle of image posts to gain and keep an audience.