Opticallimits
Wide Angle for X-T30 - Printable Version

+- Opticallimits (https://forum.opticallimits.com)
+-- Forum: Forums (https://forum.opticallimits.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Fujifilm (https://forum.opticallimits.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=9)
+--- Thread: Wide Angle for X-T30 (/showthread.php?tid=4738)

Pages: 1 2

Wide Angle for X-T30 - Hapo - 05-22-2020

...I am having a hard time choosing between the Fujinon XF 14mm/2.8 R and the Fujinon  XF 16mm/1.4 WR...

...I am leaning towards the 14mm/2.8 because it is wider, smaller, and lighter...

...my primary interest for this lens would be portraits of trees...

...I have been having trouble with getting them in frame in the available space with the 18-55mm/2.8...

...it does not seem like I would be giving up any IQ per se with the smaller lens but I have no experience with either of them...

...I have been looking at the sample images and not noticing much difference...I am not saying there isn't any...

...IQ wise I do not know if I would end up missing the extra speed of if I would be better off with the slower wider lens...

...one thing I would appreciate in my shooting is the ability to focus closely...the 16mm/1.4 seems to have an edge here...

...this would be the secondary function for whichever lens...

...one thing I already do not like is how heavy my modest camera bag is...

RE: Wide Angle Prime for X-T30 - MatjazO - 05-22-2020

“My” preffered wide angle is 16mm (on APS-C). Great for street and good for landscape. I can’t say I understand fully what you mean by “potraits of trees” ;-), however I take it that full swing landscapes are not main focus for you here. 14 would be more suited for these.

So, I would choose 16/1,4. As a light and also cheaper alternative, 16/2.8 is a good compromise.

RE: Wide Angle Prime for X-T30 - thxbb12 - 05-22-2020

I have the opposite opinion.
If 18mm is not enough, it's likely that 16 won't be either.
Heck, even 14mm might not be enough either.
What I can say though, is that the 14mm is a very good lens optically. Very well corrected optically (almost no distortion) and very sharp across the frame.
Unless you value some DOF control at wide angle, I don't see the point of the 16mm...
Now, if you want the most versatile package (at the cost of some IQ), the 10-24 f4 might be your best option.

RE: Wide Angle Prime for X-T30 - obican - 05-22-2020

Have a look at the Samyang 12/2. It's even wider, cheaper, smaller and it's probably as sharp as either of those options. If I were to shoot some trees, I'd definitely get the 14/2.8 since it's again, wider, lighter and cheaper. People have been ignoring that lens ever since the 10-24 and other wide angle options came out but that's still as good as a 21mm equivalent lens can get in any system.

RE: Wide Angle Prime for X-T30 - thxbb12 - 05-22-2020

Another one that might be of interest is the Laowa 9mm f2.8.
It's tiny and very wide. However it's a manual only lens (no electronic contact either I think).
Here is a review:
https://jonasraskphotography.com/2018/03/20/going-extrawide-the-laowa-9mm-f-2-8-review/

RE: Wide Angle Prime for X-T30 - Hapo - 05-23-2020

(05-22-2020, 08:12 PM)thxbb12 Wrote: I have the opposite opinion.
What I can say though, is that the 14mm is a very good lens optically. Very well corrected optically (almost no distortion) and very sharp across the frame.
Unless you value some DOF control at wide angle, I don't see the point of the 16mm...
Now, if you want the most versatile package (at the cost of some IQ), the 10-24 f4 might be your best option.

...I was wondering if anyone would mention that lens...

...I was originally concerned that @ f4 it was too slow but in a review I read some where it was noted that the image stabilization more than made up for that in low light situations...

...how much IQ is compromised IYHO...???...Klaus seemed to like his...maybe I should just ask myself, " What would Klaus do ? "...

...I just noticed there is no 8-16mm/f2.8 review...I did consider that lens but it is just too big and expensive and does not have IS...

RE: Wide Angle for X-T30 - Klaus - 05-23-2020

FWIW, there's also the Zeiss 12mm.

RE: Wide Angle for X-T30 - Hapo - 05-23-2020

...thank you, I had overlooked that lens...12mm is certainly wider than 14mm, eh...

...that lens would bump the 14mm/2.8 from consideration here but along the same lines 10mm is wider than 12mm...

...this bring me back to the Fujinon 10-24mm/f4 lens...

...it was noted in a review I saw that it will not focus as closely as some other wide angle lenses and this is the only thing that puts me off...

...I understand that there are sharper Fuji lenses but that this lens is still very sharp...I understand that a 1.4/F prime is better indoors...

...I often find myself trying to take extreme close up shots...this is what attracted me to telephoto lenses...

...overall methinks the Fujinon 10-24/f4 may be the right choice for me...

...do you still have the one you reviewed in 2015...???...

RE: Wide Angle for X-T30 - Hapo - 05-23-2020

(05-22-2020, 10:36 PM)thxbb12 Wrote: Another one that might be of interest is the  Laowa 9mm f2.8.
It's tiny and very wide. However it's a manual only lens (no electronic contact either I think).
Here is a review:
https://jonasraskphotography.com/2018/03/20/going-extrawide-the-laowa-9mm-f-2-8-review/

...thank you for this suggestion...

...I am very likely to purchase the Laowa 65mm f/2.8 2X Ultra Macro APO lens soon, but I want a lens that can hook up to my camera's brain for the shooting I currently have in mind...

...the video capacity of the 10-24 is a strong attraction as well...

...as much as I pine for the primes, methinks the versatility that zoom lenses provide will be more helpful in capturing captivating images than technical excellence...

...they may at least help me figger out which prime lenses I'd want...

RE: Wide Angle for X-T30 - thxbb12 - 05-23-2020

(05-23-2020, 12:37 AM)Hapo Wrote:
(05-22-2020, 08:12 PM)thxbb12 Wrote: I have the opposite opinion.

...I was wondering if anyone would mention that lens...

...I was originally concerned that @ f4 it was too slow but in a review I read some where it was noted that the image stabilization more than made up for that in low light situations...

...how much IQ is compromised IYHO...???...Klaus seemed to like his...maybe I should just ask myself, " What would Klaus do ? "...

...I just noticed there is no 8-16mm/f2.8 review...I did consider that lens but it is just too big and expensive and does not have IS...

Compared to the 14mm f2.8, the 10-24 won't be as good optically. Not as sharp. The 14mm is tack sharp at f4. Maybe I had a bad sample of the 10-24, I don't know... But I've never been fully satisfied by its sharpness and this is especially true toward the longer end of the zoom.
In fact, I've never been very impressed by any Fuji zoom I've tested.
The primes are a different story, I find them very good.