Opticallimits
The weird but interesting RF 600/800mm f/11 DO STM IS - Printable Version

+- Opticallimits (https://forum.opticallimits.com)
+-- Forum: Forums (https://forum.opticallimits.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Canon EOS (https://forum.opticallimits.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+--- Thread: The weird but interesting RF 600/800mm f/11 DO STM IS (/showthread.php?tid=4789)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

RE: The weird but interesting RF 600/800mm f/11 DO STM IS - davidmanze - 07-07-2020

(07-07-2020, 09:54 AM)Brightcolours Wrote: I only can judge from what that source posted. And your own observation compared with your 500mm f4 lens appears to confirm it: the Tamron does lose more focal length than that Nikkor. Of course, closer to MFD the Tamron will lose even more.
My point was clear and simple: If you want 600mm for the narrow FOV at close ups, it does not quite deliver. That has NOTHING to do with f11, just was looking into what you said about shooting close ups, and commenting on that.

Judging from the figures from the digital picture dot com, the Tamron does not have awful focal length loss, though.

I have nothing against the Tamron 150-600mm G2 (other than its weight), and do not have any reason to prefer these new Canon primes either, just trying to keep arguments fair and clean.

At least digital dot com tallies in with my findings then!!

........ and I never said that F11 had any relationship with FB!

I'll wait to see the prices of these lenses ........ if they're affordable say ..... $1,000 for the 600mm and $1,500 for the 800mm ..... I'll give them my partial blessing ..... partial only!

RE: The weird but interesting RF 600/800mm f/11 DO STM IS - Brightcolours - 07-07-2020

(07-07-2020, 10:19 AM)davidmanze Wrote:
(07-07-2020, 09:54 AM)Brightcolours Wrote: I only can judge from what that source posted. And your own observation compared with your 500mm f4 lens appears to confirm it: the Tamron does lose more focal length than that Nikkor. Of course, closer to MFD the Tamron will lose even more.
My point was clear and simple: If you want 600mm for the narrow FOV at close ups, it does not quite deliver. That has NOTHING to do with f11, just was looking into what you said about shooting close ups, and commenting on that.

Judging from the figures from the digital picture dot com, the Tamron does not have awful focal length loss, though.

I have nothing against the Tamron 150-600mm G2 (other than its weight), and do not have any reason to prefer these new Canon primes either, just trying to keep arguments fair and clean.

I'll wait to see the prices of these lenses ........ if they're affordable say ..... $1,000 for the 600mm and $1,500 for the 800mm ..... I'll give them my partial blessing ..... partial only!

The leaked UK prices are WAY below those prices, see other thread.

RE: The weird but interesting RF 600/800mm f/11 DO STM IS - davidmanze - 07-08-2020

(07-07-2020, 03:01 PM)Brightcolours Wrote:
(07-07-2020, 10:19 AM)davidmanze Wrote:

The leaked UK prices are WAY below those prices, see other thread.
Re G2.
"

"If you want 600mm for the narrow FOV at close ups, it does not quite deliver" .......

I know we're moving into  .... "70-200mm non focus breathing lens perfection reference mode"... here ..... where high standards, stiff competition and high prices abound....

...... but ..... your "if" is a very rare request from any photog that I've ever spoken to ..... especially from a $1,100 tele-zoom ..... 

...... but, being able to close focus is a common request ....

However, if those UK prices are correct they have gone in at a very low price point ........ and will certainly sell many of them !!

RE: The weird but interesting RF 600/800mm f/11 DO STM IS - Rover - 07-08-2020

From looking at the pictures of these lenses over at a rumor site I almost thought they had push-pull focusing. Of course, the extension actually turned out to be a byproduct of the collapsible design. :-)

RE: The weird but interesting RF 600/800mm f/11 DO STM IS - miro - 07-08-2020

Reasonable prices
Canon RF 600mm £699
Canon RF 800mm £929
Canon RF 100-500mm L lens will be £2,899 - $2899 USD ($2892 actual)
Canon RF 85mm MACRO £649 - $699 USD ($697 actual)

Shooting BIF with the R5 /R6 - davidmanze - 07-26-2020

Tony Northrups findings for shooting eye detect and BIF with the R5/R6 and his findings ...... a mixed bag!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iUe4vsO3HQ8

Remarkable eye detect ...... but ......

EVF lag and battery life ......

RE: The weird but interesting RF 600/800mm f/11 DO STM IS - Brightcolours - 07-26-2020

(07-26-2020, 05:03 PM)davidmanze Wrote: Tony Northrups findings for shooting eye detect and BIF with the R5/R6 and his findings ...... a mixed bag!

Toni is a mixed bag himself.

RE: The weird but interesting RF 600/800mm f/11 DO STM IS - davidmanze - 07-26-2020

(07-26-2020, 05:38 PM)Brightcolours Wrote:
(07-26-2020, 05:03 PM)davidmanze Wrote: Tony Northrups findings for shooting eye detect and BIF with the R5/R6 and his findings ...... a mixed bag!

At a time when many are going ML ..... there are some who want to know in advance whether a particular camera is going to be suitable for their needs ...... like we do here with lenses ...... the R5 costs $4,000 .... so not a financial decision to be taken lightly. 
  It's a great Swiss knife camera no doubt ..... but many want to know where it's strengths and weaknesses lie ...... with respect to their personal usage ......
.....  for BIF it has it's shortcomings ..... especially with fast flying birds, which most are ...... EVF lag ..... which ironically will make itself felt most with the new 800mm F11 telephoto ... ... where when looking through the EVF, the bird is flying into the frame ...... yet in the image the birds will be flying out of it ..... or even worse clipped .....

.... that is worth mentioning don't you think? .... of course if you don't shoot BIF it's neither here nor there!

Battery life will also be somewhat relevant ... whether you think that Tony is a mixed bag or not!

RE: The weird but interesting RF 600/800mm f/11 DO STM IS - toni-a - 07-27-2020

(07-26-2020, 09:38 PM)davidmanze Wrote:    At a time when many are going ML ..... there are some who want to know in advance whether a particular camera is going to be suitable for their needs ...... like we do here with lenses ...... the R5 costs $4,000 .... so not a financial decision to be taken lightly. 
  It's a great Swiss knife camera no doubt ..... but many want to know where it's strengths and weaknesses lie ...... with respect to their personal usage ......
.....  for BIF it has it's shortcomings ..... especially with fast flying birds, which most are ...... EVF lag ..... which ironically will make itself felt most with the new 800mm F11 telephoto ... ... where when looking through the EVF, the bird is flying into the frame ...... yet in the image the birds will be flying out of it ..... or even worse clipped .....

.... that is worth mentioning don't you think? .... of course if you don't shoot BIF it's neither here nor there!

Battery life will also be somewhat relevant ... whether you think that Tony is a mixed bag or not!

Birds in flight is still IMHO the kingdom of DSLRs
not only there's the obvious EVF lag, but also the battery issue, when shooting birds or wildlife you need a camera that is always ready to shoot, a bird won't notify you before flying you have a very short time to frame and shoot, by the time your camera wakes the bird will be gone... so you need to keep it on all the time... also my humble experience with mirrorless tells me yjay mirrorless tracks very well but has trouble grabbing the subject vs DSLR, the time any mirrorless camera has locked on the subject a DSLR would have taken several frames, of course mirrorless os slowly closing the gap but for the time being, birds in flight is still the kingdom of DSLRs

RE: The weird but interesting RF 600/800mm f/11 DO STM IS - Brightcolours - 07-27-2020

(07-26-2020, 09:38 PM)davidmanze Wrote:
(07-26-2020, 05:38 PM)Brightcolours Wrote:

At a time when many are going ML ..... there are some who want to know in advance whether a particular camera is going to be suitable for their needs ...... like we do here with lenses ...... the R5 costs $4,000 .... so not a financial decision to be taken lightly. 

.... that is worth mentioning don't you think?  .... of course if you don't shoot BIF it's neither here nor there!

It is totally up to you to believe mixed bag TonY's videos or not, Dave.

But if I were Tony, I'd turn off image review first before testing the view finder freeze, it would probably help a lot.

Charles Glatzer wrote:

"Rolling Shutter or lack therefore
EOS R5, RF24-105 f/4 L IS

Many of you have asked about Rolling Shutter when shooting in Electronic Shutter Mode. As you can see in the images below taken of this fast moving fan there is virtually no roll at 11/600 or 1/6400 This is great news.

And, check out how good the compressed jpegs look at the crazy high ISO's.

Additionally, I had no blackout and very little (hardly noticeable) stutter to speak of when shooting in full Electronic Shutter Mode on the same fan at 20fps.

When using Mechanical Shutter Mode I did notice a hint of blackout with very minimal Lag when tracking a moving subject. This is not shutter lag, but EVF response. Note- this did not effect my ability to stay on the subject.

I did notice a .3 stop decrease in exposure when using full Electronic Shutter at high shutter speeds.

Cheers, Chas.
"
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=3730291746999189

That is mixed bag Tony for you, Dave....