Opticallimits
Macbook Pro display backlit went the way of the Dodo - Printable Version

+- Opticallimits (https://forum.opticallimits.com)
+-- Forum: Forums (https://forum.opticallimits.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Just Talk (https://forum.opticallimits.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+--- Thread: Macbook Pro display backlit went the way of the Dodo (/showthread.php?tid=4845)

Pages: 1 2

RE: Macbook Pro display backlit went the way of the Dodo - faint - 08-12-2020

Absolutely!

If you don't need portability, you can easily build your own PC and upgrade it as needed. More reliable, servicable, and cheaper to maintain.

If you need a laptop, Dell offers some laotops with 10bit panels, and Asus has a dedicated ProArt line for digital artists. So there is a choice.

RE: Macbook Pro display backlit went the way of the Dodo - stoppingdown - 08-12-2020

toni-a remark about battery hazard is appropriate. It happens that my current MBP is the model affected by the issue, even though the check with the serial number is negative (that is, my specific copy is not affected by the issue). But a year ago I was worried because I was going to have an airplane business trip and some air companies were on the verge of deciding an extensive ban, i.e. not based on the check of serial number. It would have been a disaster for me.

The real Apple advantage is macOS. Hardware honestly should be better for the price we pay.

RE: Macbook Pro display backlit went the way of the Dodo - mst - 08-12-2020

(08-12-2020, 06:30 AM)faint Wrote: If you don't need portability, you can easily build your own PC and upgrade it as needed. More reliable, servicable, and cheaper to maintain.

Yup, that's what I've been doing since I was a teenager... until at some point I noticed that I spend most of the time at the PC with administration, updating drivers, defragmenting disks, running and checking backups and sync copies, checking logs, looking for alternatives for some parts of the PC that might be outdated or I suspected to be the cause for real or imagined issues... instead of actually getting work done with the PC.

It was fun, for a while, and it taught me a lot, but I honestly don't miss it.

(08-11-2020, 10:10 PM)photonius Wrote: I admit to being partial to Mac's. Yes, they are epxensive, but the ones I own(ed)/used lasted rather than Windows counterparts  average.

That is my experience, too. Yes, they are expensive, but also keep a much higher resale value than an average PC, which levels the initial purchasing costs a little. And on average, at least for me, Macs give a much longer average usage period than I was used to from PCs.

I retired my Mac Pro 3,1 last year. Bought it new in 2008. So got 11 years of service, mostly without issues. Would probably still use it if it ran newer versions of macOS.

RE: Macbook Pro display backlit went the way of the Dodo - stoppingdown - 08-12-2020

Quote:It was fun, for a while, and it taught me a lot, but I honestly don't miss it.

Agree on this.

Quote:I retired my Mac Pro 3,1 last year. Bought it new in 2008. So got 11 years of service, mostly without issues.

Disagree on this. Or, well, it's not meaningful because old products were better. I owned two Mac Mini, a PPC and a x86. The former worked until two years ago as a gateway (running Linux PPC). I think I bought it in 2005, so it lasted 13 years. Pretty good - but what I'm seeing is a deterioration of quality.

I own four Intel MBP's who ranged in the following years (by heart): 2006-2009, 2009-2013, 2013-2016, 2016-present. The #1 was the first aluminum MBP and the shell self-destroyed. The second was fine, it actually still works without an issue with Linux (it's just obsolete). The third had the infamous "discrete graphics adapter" issue; replaced twice in warranty, I had to give up when it broke for the third time (ironically I recovered it a few months ago, when I discovered a patch - not provided by Apple - that disables the faulty component). The current one has the minor troubles that I described yesterday. So, three out of four laptops had issues, and only half of them lived at least 4 yeas, which is my minimum target.

RE: Macbook Pro display backlit went the way of the Dodo - Brightcolours - 08-13-2020

My MacBook Air from 2013 works without any issue ever. My Mac Mini 1st generation I bought in 2005. It was in regular use till 2014 when I bought a newer Mac Mini. No issue with either of them, but 1 Acer LCD died within 2 years.