Opticallimits
Mourning the end of an era!! - Printable Version

+- Opticallimits (https://forum.opticallimits.com)
+-- Forum: Forums (https://forum.opticallimits.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Nikon (https://forum.opticallimits.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: Mourning the end of an era!! (/showthread.php?tid=5217)

Pages: 1 2 3

Mourning the end of an era!! - davidmanze - 02-03-2022

It looks like Nikon has officially announced the D500 will no longer be produced .......

.........  this to me is like the final nail in the coffin of the sports APSC DSLR .......and DSLRs in general .........

......... providing an affordable fast shooting bottomless buffer with an excellent OVF and a pro AF system, high res rear screen and on the fly AF modes ...... when coupled with the 150-600mm lenses from Tamron and Sigma or even Nikon's own 200-500mm zoom lens ........ it makes an affordable combination .........
....... it is probably, if not certainly, responsible for more birding images than any other camera combination ......... ever!

It was and still is (for the moment) the "peoples affordable birding camera" ...... and many will be reluctant to switch over to ML because of it ..... including me .... no surprises there Smile

It took Nikon I don't know how many years to produce the follow up to the D300 ....... let's hope they they don't leave it so long to make a ML replacement ..... 

I have two and will keep my eyes out for another if I spot one for a bargain price ...... but I suspect they will always hold their value!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/124690178@N08/

dave's clichés

RE: Mourning the end of an era!! - Rover - 02-03-2022

Let's hope there's a comparable APS-C Z-mount offering on the drawing boards. I don't know enough of Nikon's modus operandi to predict anything, but the fact that they're giving at least some thought to the APS-C lineup is "moderately" encouraging.

But after all, it's all fine as long as the cameras work. I'm not giving up my Canon 1D Mark 4 even though Canon has long since buried the APS-H sensor format, then (so it seems) the very notion of the dual-grip pro DSLR, if the vague announcement of 1DX Mark 3 being the last such model from Canon is to be taken at face value. I will be using it until either of us gets run into the ground.

RE: Mourning the end of an era!! - davidmanze - 02-03-2022

(02-03-2022, 09:26 AM)Rover Wrote: Let's hope there's a comparable APS-C Z-mount offering on the drawing boards. I don't know enough of Nikon's modus operandi to predict anything, but the fact that they're giving at least some thought to the APS-C lineup is "moderately" encouraging.

But after all, it's all fine as long as the cameras work. I'm not giving up my Canon 1D Mark 4 even though Canon has long since buried the APS-H sensor format, then (so it seems) the very notion of the dual-grip pro DSLR, if the vague announcement of 1DX Mark 3 being the last such model from Canon is to be taken at face value. I will be using it until either of us gets run into the ground.

Amen to that !!

RE: Mourning the end of an era!! - Klaus - 02-03-2022

"For within each seed, there is a promise of a flower, and within each death, no matter how small, there's always a new life. A new beginning. "

RE: Mourning the end of an era!! - davidmanze - 02-03-2022

(02-03-2022, 11:28 AM)Klaus Wrote: "For within each seed, there is a promise of a flower, and within each death, no matter how small, there's always a new life. A new beginning. "

Ah yes,  positive philosophical vibes Klaus! ........... 

Let's hope Nikon has ML APSc seeds and flower pots available in abundance ...... for my part I will do a rain dance .......... Smile 

........ and of course spring is just around the corner ...... so maybe we will see Z500s bursting from the blossom in time for late summer ......

If Nikon were to recognised it ...... they have a fantastic market opportunity, in front of their very eyes ........

RE: Mourning the end of an era!! - Rover - 02-03-2022

If only money grew on trees. Smile Since they don't, I'll have to stick with the gear I have anyway.

RE: Mourning the end of an era!! - toni-a - 02-05-2022

D500 and 7D2 are excellent cameras by all means, I just love my 7D2 and won't sell it anytime soon.
For manufacturers however ot's earning money that counts and they will always make new cameras that will make your camera look outdated so that you buy a new one...even if sometimes what you have gives you better results.
In Nikon world I can't see any other affordable serious competitor for birding... however who would want to make a camera that is very demanding to manufacture then sell it for 1000$ ?? when he can make less demanding cameras to manufacture and sell for at least double the price ?

RE: Mourning the end of an era!! - davidmanze - 02-05-2022

(02-05-2022, 03:25 PM)toni-a Wrote: D500 and  7D2 are excellent cameras by all means, I just love my 7D2 and won't sell it anytime soon.
For manufacturers however it's earning money that counts and they will always make new cameras that will make your camera look outdated so that you buy a new one...even if sometimes what you have gives you better results.
In Nikon world I can't see any other affordable  serious competitor for birding... however who would want to make a camera that is very demanding to manufacture then sell it for 1000$ ?? when he can make less demanding cameras to manufacture and sell for at least double the price ?

The D500 was $2,000 at launch  ....... how demanding is it to manufacture a Z500 ?? ....... no mirror / shutter smaller sensor ........ less Mps means less processing ... AF would need updating from the Z6/7II ....for sure ...... but I still think it would sell well for $2,500 at launch !
  Unless you have $5.500 to spend on a Z9 of course !! ....

RE: Mourning the end of an era!! - toni-a - 02-05-2022

(02-05-2022, 03:42 PM)davidmanze Wrote:
(02-05-2022, 03:25 PM)toni-a Wrote: D500 and  7D2 are excellent cameras by all means, I just love my 7D2 and won't sell it anytime soon.
For manufacturers however it's earning money that counts and they will always make new cameras that will make your camera look outdated so that you buy a new one...even if sometimes what you have gives you better results.
In Nikon world I can't see any other affordable  serious competitor for birding... however who would want to make a camera that is very demanding to manufacture then sell it for 1000$ ?? when he can make less demanding cameras to manufacture and sell for at least double the price ?

The D500 was $2,000 at launch  ....... how demanding is it to manufacture a Z500 ?? ....... no mirror / shutter smaller sensor ........ less Mps means less processing ... AF would need updating from the Z6/7II ....for sure ...... but I still think it would sell well for $2,500 at launch !
  Unless you have $5.500 to spend on a Z9 of course !! ....
Ditto
You got my point 100%
Couldn't have said it better

RE: Mourning the end of an era!! - Arthur Macmillan - 02-15-2022

(02-03-2022, 11:52 AM)davidmanze Wrote:
(02-03-2022, 11:28 AM)Klaus Wrote: "For within each seed, there is a promise of a flower, and within each death, no matter how small, there's always a new life. A new beginning. "

Ah yes,  positive philosophical vibes Klaus! ........... 

Let's hope Nikon has ML APSc seeds and flower pots available in abundance ...... for my part I will do a rain dance .......... Smile 

........ and of course spring is just around the corner ...... so maybe we will see Z500s bursting from the blossom in time for late summer ......

If Nikon were to recognised it ...... they have a fantastic market opportunity, in front of their very eyes ........

I have been asking myself who is going to make the move first, Nikon, or Canon.  It is such an obvious niche to be filled!  And when it comes to nature shooting, and action sports shooting Canon made it obvious to the world, could it have been way back in 1987 (?) that the camera that does this the best is going to be the dominant camera company in the world.

Many believe the D500 is the best bird photography camera of all time.  It would be logical to make a mirrorless version that can build on its legacy.  Putting a new 24mp sensor would probably be the route I'd take.  I'm not up on memory card terminology, but with just a 24mp size I would think they could work just fine with SD form factor cards.  I use SanDisk Extreme Pro 64 GB cards.  I don't understand the ratings.  The say 170 MB/S but I don't know what equipment has to be used to see it.  My laptop SD slot seems to read them at 30 MB/S.  The camera itself might use them at a higher speed.  Heck, I got four cards for $60.  I'm guessing they are good enough for a 24 MP camera. 

I thought about getting a D500 when I got hooked on birding.  If Canon does introduce their R7 first, then it may have paid off for me to stay with Canon.  If Nikon makes a full frame mount compatible mirrorless first...it's more complicated!

I don't see myself processing RAW images from a camera with a sensor >= 45 MP.  It's fine for some kinds of photography.  LOL, or during winter when the hot air from my computer's exhaust fans can heat the house! 

Let's hope for mirrorless cameras we can fully use!  A Nikon for your and a Canon EOS R7 for me!

-Mac

P.S. - Did you notice the R5 + cooling fan camera version (for the over specked video)?  I wonder its exhaust heat could keep you warm while birding in a blind during the winter?