Opticallimits
Z8 is producing the goods! - Printable Version

+- Opticallimits (https://forum.opticallimits.com)
+-- Forum: Forums (https://forum.opticallimits.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Nikon (https://forum.opticallimits.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Thread: Z8 is producing the goods! (/showthread.php?tid=5522)

Z8 is producing the goods! - davidmanze - 05-20-2023

The Z8 is turning out to be what was promised, a smaller Z9 ..... only one aspect has been compromised, the omission of a CF express card in the second card slot having been replaced by the now pretty outdated SD card. The buffer is hampered by this "only" if you write to both cards, otherwise it's the same as the Z9.
  Video overheating is pretty much a non event depending mostly on the type and make of the CF express card used, it seems some cards cause the camera to overheat more quickly than others. Just about every video format is available including 8K at 60 fps which if I remember rightly it can record for 1 hr 20 mins, most of the other formats can record until the battery is depleted or with the usb charging port until the card is full.
  Rolling shutter is a non issue as per the Z9 with it's very speedy scan time of 9 m/s ...... 
 I like the body size, weight and rugged construction, something that sadly is becoming a thing of the past, it is well suited to long sports lenses, the "pinky" being accommodated by it's larger grip, (maybe not for those who wish to travel light sporting pancake glass, though!) 
  All in all it would be the camera I would buy in the current ML world, my only real gripe is the limited resolution of the EVF at 3.6 million dots, however, as I won't be going ML it's neither here nor there ...... 
  I posted this to keep some sort of Nikon news/activity going at OL every now and then .......

RE: Z8 is producing the goods! - Rover - 05-24-2023

I would've loved to have the second slot in my Z9 to be SD... as it is, it got two cards that I have nowhere to put, as they require a new dedicated cardreader and are pretty expensive. In my 1D4, I've only ever used the SD slot whereas a CF card is plugged as backup (I shoot to two cards just in case), and the only thing I do to it most of the time is format it when the free capacity runs low. If Z9 had had one CFX slot and one SD, I imagine the CFX one would've been the same for me...

RE: Z8 is producing the goods! - davidmanze - 05-25-2023

(05-24-2023, 04:57 PM)Rover Wrote: I would've loved to have the second slot in my Z9 to be SD... as it is, it's got two cards that I have nowhere to put, as they require a new dedicated cardreader and are pretty expensive. In my 1D4, I've only ever used the SD slot whereas a CF card is plugged as backup (I shoot to two cards just in case), and the only thing I do to it most of the time is format it when the free capacity runs low. If Z9 had had one CFX slot and one SD, I imagine the CFX one would've been the same for me...

I understand that buying new XQD/CF cards is annoying when you have perfectly good SD cards that you then can't use ..... I have a few SD cards, two are used in the D750 and one in the D500 (my other D500 has a broken SD card slot that needed a €450 repair) ....... maybe that's why Nikon decided to keep an SD card slot in the Z8, but if you use it, you pay for it in buffer depth ...... which may not be concern to many .....