Opticallimits
The Pentax FF K1 DSLR is out: Ephotozine Review! - Printable Version

+- Opticallimits (https://forum.opticallimits.com)
+-- Forum: Forums (https://forum.opticallimits.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Pentax (https://forum.opticallimits.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=15)
+--- Thread: The Pentax FF K1 DSLR is out: Ephotozine Review! (/showthread.php?tid=808)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10

The Pentax FF K1 DSLR is out: Ephotozine Review! - davidmanze - 04-30-2016

Well what after what seems like an eternity of cancellations and waiting............

..............the Pentax FF K1 has finally hit the ground...... apparently running!

Bespangled with just about every available gizmo and gadget that any manufacturer has ever built in to a camera.....including.....IBIS, WiFi, GPS, Astrotracking, Tilting lunar landing type screen, pixel shifting technology....and a bunch more.....

.......it is already reviewed by Ephotozine:

https://www.ephotozine.com/article/pentax-k-1-expert-review-28884

Although it isn't the most detailed review.......they do seem to like it.......5 stars agogo!

Kudos to Ricoh/Pentax for getting the job done........their fans very much deserve it,....they have certainly been a patient bunch!

The Pentax FF K1 DSLR is out: Ephotozine Review! - Brightcolours - 04-30-2016

"A floating mirror system reduces the size of the camera's mirror box so that the camera's depth is kept to a minimum, at 86mm compared to the Pentax K-3 II 76mm depth"

Puzzling.

Besides that weird screen construction and that they forgot to put a AA filter in, the main specs look very good. And the price is great too. Lets hope Pentax has improved AF accuracy too?

The Pentax FF K1 DSLR is out: Ephotozine Review! - davidmanze - 04-30-2016

Early days, there's only a few rapports coming back from about AF, but all are saying how fast and accurate it is so far.....AF-C will be the big test!

The Pentax FF K1 DSLR is out: Ephotozine Review! - Klaus - 04-30-2016

The wrong camera type at the right time ...

The Pentax FF K1 DSLR is out: Ephotozine Review! - Ayoh - 05-02-2016

Quote:The wrong camera type at the right time ...
Agreed, should be mirrorless. I used to be a Pentax user with many lenses but since buying an a7S i have lost patience with DSLR shortcomings and have little desire left to go back. 3-4 years ago I would have been excited about this camera and most certainly would have got one. I'm sure there are many other like me which can't bode for the success of Pentax. 

One thing I do miss with the a7S is the much superior build quality of the Pentax bodies. Maybe one day Sony will be forced to improve their game in that regard with some competition. However at the moment they are busy milking the market for as much as they can with the unjustified high prices of the a7SII and a7RII (how can they possibly cost twice the price compared to the a7 II given all components are essentially the same except the sensor design?)

The Pentax FF K1 DSLR is out: Ephotozine Review! - davidmanze - 05-02-2016

Disagreed, Pentax would fall over dead trying....( as in, on it's back, feet in the air)

There's still this "small proportion of serious amateurs/pro photographers" ( Tongue  Big Grin) out there in this world who like shooting DSLRs and reading here on this site one would imagine they are the minority........the fact is they are still the majority and by two thirds..... that's how it is!

What's creating the big news out there at the moment?...........

D5....D500...D80....1DXII.....and now the KI...... the world is focused on these cameras.....they are still way more important than Sony's A7 series!.....

Pentax is a traditional company producing DSLRs in the traditional style to a smaller customer base than Canikon, that's what it "is" as a company......based on reputation, , legacy lenses, and their current lens range.......... to throw all that away to "risk" it out against the Giants.... Sony, Fuji, Panasonic, Olympus and the like would be a disaster financially.......

...the change to mirror-less for them is a step too far in a market that is still "dominated" by the DSLR, the gamble to change their whole game and lens range and back what is effectively "the smaller market".....it's just not viable.

...Not doubt there has been many a Ricoh/Pentax board meeting about that very topic!

Mirror-less is getting there........but as yet cannot yet serve my photographic needs.......quite simply!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/124690178@N08/

The Pentax FF K1 DSLR is out: Ephotozine Review! - davidmanze - 05-02-2016

Oops!     

The Pentax FF K1 DSLR is out: Ephotozine Review! - toni-a - 05-02-2016

Sony went mirrorless to create themselves a nice niche.

What is helping them most is the superiority of their sensors.

Having more compact body and a mirrorless system might have attracted some photographer but much less than the potential customers for their full frame DSLR.

Going against Sony there would have meant suicide.

Here no pro uses Sony, although some have a Sony body as backup.

I know more professionals here using leica than Sony. DSLR still has some time till mirrorless catches up

The Pentax FF K1 DSLR is out: Ephotozine Review! - Guest - 05-05-2016

Quote:The wrong camera type at the right time ...

Wrong Wink

It's definitely the right camera, a bit late but better late than never.

IMO the K-1 is incredibly well positioned. Still inexpensive for a FF DSLR, yet naturally being compared with the more expensive competition's models.

Quote:Agreed, should be mirrorless. I used to be a Pentax user with many lenses but since buying an a7S i have lost patience with DSLR shortcomings and have little desire left to go back. 3-4 years ago I would have been excited about this camera and most certainly would have got one. I'm sure there are many other like me which can't bode for the success of Pentax. 

Breaking news: there's a large DSLR buyers base, significantly outnumbering the MILC buyers. I believe the current ratio is around 2.7:1. The "should be mirrorless" mantra is baseless.

The Pentax K-1 is a direct response to the users' demand; it had to be a DSLR, because that's what we asked for. Sorry, Pentax is under no obligation to fix Sony's shortcomings Tongue

By the way, apparently it's the best selling FF DSLR in Japan:

http://bcnranking.jp/category/subcategory_0008.html

http://kakaku.com/camera/digital-slr-camera/ranking_0049/

which of course is mostly due to the initial demand, but still it shows that people are buying it.

I doubt that - without a supporting APS-C range, without the dedicated user base, with only few lenses, and competing with Sony on a market with different demands - a MILC Pentax FF could had been even remotely as successful as the K-1.

The Pentax FF K1 DSLR is out: Ephotozine Review! - toni-a - 05-05-2016

Pentax being the #1selling FF DSLR in Japan is good news.

This should put the pressure on others. It has been ages we are waiting for a successor of Canon 5D Mk3 and yes k1 is very tempting vs mk3

Also Pentax should be working on high quality glass for their FF SLR hopefully this will lead to more lenses coming from their subsidiary tokina,