Opticallimits
next PZ lens test report: Sigma 20mm f/1.4 DG HSM Art ... on 21mp and 50mp - Printable Version

+- Opticallimits (https://forum.opticallimits.com)
+-- Forum: Forums (https://forum.opticallimits.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Canon EOS (https://forum.opticallimits.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+--- Thread: next PZ lens test report: Sigma 20mm f/1.4 DG HSM Art ... on 21mp and 50mp (/showthread.php?tid=846)

Pages: 1 2 3

next PZ lens test report: Sigma 20mm f/1.4 DG HSM Art ... on 21mp and 50mp - Klaus - 03-31-2016

Finally ...  Rolleyes

http://www.opticallimits.com/canon_eos_ff/973-sigma20f14art

next PZ lens test report: Sigma 20mm f/1.4 DG HSM Art ... on 21mp and 50mp - JJ_SO - 03-31-2016

So, in total I have now

1. an excellent landscape lens between f/4 and f/8 (looking at the borders)
  2. an excellent reportage lens for interior shots wide open or night shots, also wide opem
  3. an excellent lens for nice bokeh at close range, when I want to show some hints about the environment
  4. a less excellent lense for architecture (but there's still the 14-24 between 18 and 21 mm doing less distortions)
  5. and all for the price of a half 14-24/2.8 or $ 80.- more than the Nikon AF-S 20/1.8 G ED (which comes with Nano coating, has a filter thread, closer mininmal focus distance and the weight is 38% (!) of the Sigma)
But also a massive piece of glass, a massive challenge for Nikon's AF when shooting wide open without LV.

How did you like the flare resistance - or was there no sun when you tried? Did the Canons do a good job focussing wide open with PDAF?

next PZ lens test report: Sigma 20mm f/1.4 DG HSM Art ... on 21mp and 50mp - Rover - 03-31-2016

I knew that visiting 4-5 times a day would pay off some time... But the main page gets no love again. Smile

(after finishing reading the review) Well, now we know. The borders and corners at the larger apertures (say, wide open and one stop down) produce similar absolute values on the two cameras - though on 5DSR, they're still worse - but because the absolute values in the center are that much higher, there is a very pronounced spread on the scale and the impression that the border and corner resolution is simply nonexistent (as some site commenters have alleged with regard to, say, the Tamron 35/1.8). 1 1/2 to 2 stops down, the absolute values begin to race ahead even at the edges. I think it's going to be a pattern from now on...

P.S. Here's a novel thought: could you copy a link to this review to the "Tested at 20mp" section of the Canon FF reviews? Because it's just that, two reviews rolled in one (BTW, isn't the 5D Mark II a 21MP camera? (which you mention in this present review).

next PZ lens test report: Sigma 20mm f/1.4 DG HSM Art ... on 21mp and 50mp - Klaus - 03-31-2016

Honestly I can't really say that I looked seriously into this on the Sigma.

The bokeh test is using a glitter background and there was nothing suspicious there but it's not a stress test in this respect.

Quote:I knew that visiting 4-5 times a day would pay off some time... But the main page gets no love again. Smile

Tongue  See - PZ is also a big text adventure ... 

Thx!

next PZ lens test report: Sigma 20mm f/1.4 DG HSM Art ... on 21mp and 50mp - davidmanze - 03-31-2016

Impressive all round......especially the bokeh!   A note on focus accuracy, Klaus?  given there is a constant stream of complaining posts on forums vis à vis inaccurate/inconsistent AF results from Art series lenses....

The AF felt Ok to me but then it's a 20mm lens.

If there are AF problems you can tune all this with Sigma's USB dock so I'm not sure whether this is a killer argument against these lenses. Sooner or later you will have to get one anyway if you plan on buying multiple Sigmas. Every once in a while you will stumble across firmware updates anyway (which can be good thing - e.g. the improved AF on the 150-600mm).

next PZ lens test report: Sigma 20mm f/1.4 DG HSM Art ... on 21mp and 50mp - JJ_SO - 03-31-2016

Dave, it would be very interesting, if and how the complainers adjusted their Sigmas, and if and how there are differences between the different mount systems. As long as there are some unqualified complaints, all I can say is, my Sigmas work well and reliable to the degree of Nikkor reliabiity - but all of them are less precise than thesame shot with mirrorless.

I still suspect Nikon to have a random function in their firmware and volkswagen third party lenses. It would not be totally impossible.  :ph34r: [/conspiracy_mode]

next PZ lens test report: Sigma 20mm f/1.4 DG HSM Art ... on 21mp and 50mp - davidmanze - 03-31-2016

Quote:The AF felt Ok to me but then it's a 20mm lens.

If there are AF problems you can tune all this with Sigma's USB dock so I'm not sure whether this is a killer argument against these lenses. Sooner or later you will have to get one anyway if you plan on buying multiple Sigmas. Every once in a while you will stumble across firmware updates anyway (which can be good thing - e.g. the improved AF on the 150-600mm).
 There is no doubt that there is an excessive number of complaints about their recent lenses, to site one review from Pentax Forums, they gave up on the first attempt and recontacted Sigma,.......here's their second attempt....... 

http://www.pentaxforums.com/articles/review-news/sigma-18-35mm-autofocus-a-second-look.html

While many buyers have returned their Sigmas and gone elsewhere, some of them having been "driven mental" with AFFT with their docks........ others seemingly have never had a problem or even noticed one!

Like it or not,  it's an ongoing complaint..........not only with Pentax which has a small sales base of this lens but more generally with Nikon......I don't follow much in the Canon world.

Pentax buyers these days are already slightly mental...  Tongue I could tell some story about trying a Tamron 17-50 get sharp pictures on two Pentaxes. Only advice: Stick to the bloody Pentax lenses!

Seriously, only the contemporary lenses are available completely for Pentax, no Sports and of the Art series only the 18-35 (which is a challenge for every camera)m the 30/1.4 and 35/1.4 are available for exotic Pentax stuff. I don't know about you, Dave, but I'm thinking you bias your very general "Sigmas are not reliable AFing" on the wrong camera manufacturer  <_< What if the camera's the problem?

It might be that an excessive number of Pentax users are whining around - so what? Buying exotic DSLR is statement and even if Sigmas are not playing well with Pentax - they are for sure with Canon and Nikon otherwise they would not get a feet on the ground of their "global vision". For me, Pentax is a beyond death system.

I'm reading it mainly with Nikon JoJu!