Opticallimits
next PZ lens test report: Tamron SP 35mm f/1.8 Di USD VC - Printable Version

+- Opticallimits (https://forum.opticallimits.com)
+-- Forum: Forums (https://forum.opticallimits.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=4)
+--- Forum: Canon EOS (https://forum.opticallimits.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=11)
+--- Thread: next PZ lens test report: Tamron SP 35mm f/1.8 Di USD VC (/showthread.php?tid=898)

Pages: 1 2

next PZ lens test report: Tamron SP 35mm f/1.8 Di USD VC - Klaus - 02-11-2016

Hmmmh ... 

http://www.opticallimits.com/canon_eos_ff/970-tamron35f18vc

next PZ lens test report: Tamron SP 35mm f/1.8 Di USD VC - chrismiller - 02-11-2016

Are we going to see any lenses with good corners on the 5ds at less than f8?

next PZ lens test report: Tamron SP 35mm f/1.8 Di USD VC - davidmanze - 02-11-2016

Hmmm.......another private test site gave the Tamron the thumbs up AF accuracy over the Sigma, but the latter wins overall.

My Tammy 150-600 suffers from the same specular highlight problem I have to get rid of them by using softening with the adjustment brush.

Tamron however have seen the full marketing potential of this problem, in my local supermarket I notice they are doing "cheese and onion rings as well as plain onion".............  

............ Common Sigma get with it, how about smokey bacon flavour?

next PZ lens test report: Tamron SP 35mm f/1.8 Di USD VC - Klaus - 02-12-2016

Quote:Are we going to see any lenses with good corners on the 5ds at less than f8?

Yes, medium to long tele lenses. As for the rest ...

To be fair - the 5Ds squeezes (probably) more information out of every lens.

However, pixel-level sharpness will be very rare outside the center zone.

next PZ lens test report: Tamron SP 35mm f/1.8 Di USD VC - davidmanze - 02-12-2016

Sensors like that are 

Quote:Yes, medium to long tele lenses. As for the rest ...

To be fair - the 5Ds squeezes (probably) more information out of every lens.

However, pixel-level sharpness will be very rare outside the center zone.
Sensors like that are made for the elite lenses like the Otus I suppose!...........would a 20X30 inch print from this lens be sharp at the edges? 

next PZ lens test report: Tamron SP 35mm f/1.8 Di USD VC - Klaus - 02-12-2016

Quote:Sensors like that are 

Sensors like that are made for the elite lenses like the Otus I suppose!...........would a 20X30 inch print from this lens be sharp at the edges? 

At f/1.8 ? No.

next PZ lens test report: Tamron SP 35mm f/1.8 Di USD VC - davidmanze - 02-12-2016

Quote:At f/1.8 ? No.
 At F1.8 I would be able to excuse this .....after all it's a $700 dollar lens....with an otherwise very full spec.......it would have to do it at F4 though.........

Maybe that's why I don't pull my hair out looking for tack sharp edges fully open with my lenses, especially wider ones, I still haven't seen the absolute need for it..... stop down two stops and your fine.......my lens collection would have to cost five  times more to achieve that!

I find this "onion bokeh" business "more" irritating because it shows Tamron's new quality acceptance level......pretty sharp with lower cost/spec. lens surfaces......this I'm sure will be ever pervading into the rest of their lens range.........every new lens may well have this negative aspect......it's a bit like lens flare in sun shots.....I would see me spending two hours in Raw with the adjustment brush going round getting rid of flares and highlights from unwanted artifacts. 

next PZ lens test report: Tamron SP 35mm f/1.8 Di USD VC - Rover - 02-12-2016

I may be uttering heresy but... wouldn't it make more sense to go back to the 5D Mark II (or another 21ish MP camera)? Look, it's the same situation as with the ol' NEX-7 - the "difficult" sensor is killing the otherwise fine lenses (someone may sneer at the Tamron, but if it's really the same deal with the top-of-the-line Canon 35L II, anybody would agree that something is wrong). And since the 50MP sensor isn't going to be mainstream any time soon, wouldn't it make more sense to stick with the cameras of more common (and sane) sensor size? I'm pretty sure that 20-24 MP cameras still outsell the 5DS family by a large margin, and not because the users have been going bankrupt in droves...

Taken in isolation, these tests seem to indicate that all the new Canon-mount lenses have somehow gotten bad, or you got defective copies of each and every one (hence you're adding a disclaimer to each of the reviews)...

Just my €.02

P.S. I wonder what the 70-200/2.8 L IS II is going to look like on the 5DSR?

next PZ lens test report: Tamron SP 35mm f/1.8 Di USD VC - Brightcolours - 02-12-2016

It is not the same situation as with the nex7. The nex7 has a design fault, smearing corners with certain lenses and producing discolouration. The 5Ds® just shows the limits of the lens, and the effect is just exaggerated by PZ's sharpening which on other cameras makes the corners look better, so the difference with the 5Ds seems larger. 

next PZ lens test report: Tamron SP 35mm f/1.8 Di USD VC - Rover - 02-12-2016

The end result was the same to a layman reader like myself though.

It'd be nice to see even a single retest of a lens previously evaluated on 21 MP - just about any lens that gave decent results on the 5D Mark II. Then we may know just how severe the difference is.