• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Forums > Back > repair of strobe
hello,

I'd like to know if repairing a power supply of a strobe is worth the cost...or the effort...
? self repair possible (i know the condensator is quite dangerous)
my camera's ....  R7 and an EOS 7mk1 (I won't talk about my 400d Blush )
the strobe in question is an 580EX mk2
i still have a 430EX mk1 which still works ...

purposes for the strobe...
essentially macro photography and (maybe) wildlife

any thoughts or reflections

kr,
couplos
I don't know your location, but you can probably pick up a used one in the same or better condition for cheaper than you can repair this one. Depending on where you get it from an extended warranty may only add a small amount to the price. That's if you're concerned.

Overall, my experience with repairs hasn't been great. Either it's expensive or a year or so later it breaks for the same thing again. YMMV.
Repairing a power supply for a strobe like the Canon 580EX Mk II can be a worthwhile consideration, especially given its value and utility in photography. Repairing a strobe involves dealing with high voltages, especially if you’re working on the power supply or capacitor. Capacitors can retain a charge even after being unplugged, so proper safety measures are crucial.
Repairing a power supply on your 580EX II strobe can be tricky, and it may not be worth the effort unless you're confident in handling electronics. The capacitor inside the strobe holds a dangerous charge even after it's powered off, so if you're not experienced with high-voltage repairs, it's best to leave it to professionals.
If macro photography and wildlife are your main focuses, your working 430EX could still serve you well, though the 580EX II does offer more power and faster recycling time. If you're set on fixing the 580EX II, a repair service might be a safer bet
(08-25-2024, 06:15 PM)mike Wrote: I don't know your location, but you can probably pick up a used one in the same or better condition for cheaper than you can repair this one. Depending on where you get it from an extended warranty may only add a small amount to the price. That's if you're concerned.

Overall, my experience with repairs hasn't been great. Either it's expensive or a year or so later it breaks for the same thing again. YMMV.
With the current condition he describes, the only way is to buy another car. Fixing it will definitely cause more damage.