• 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Forums > Back > Nikon D800 Higher dynamic range than others
[quote name='Reinier' timestamp='1359885192' post='21719']

I used to shoot with slide film (Fuji Sensia II 100, Velvia Velvia 100), but when I bought my first Dslr (first the 40D and sold it to buy a 2-hand 5D 3 years ago) I was pleasantly suprised by the higher tonal range. Because of the higher DR I was able to take photographs which I wasn't with slide film, because it would have been to dark.

Just recently I was photographing mute swans here on a man-made lake. Although the sun isn't as powerful as in the spring or summer, the white feathers in combination with the dark water was not easy to get a right exposure. In theory you can't get the right exposure, because when you want to see detail in the feathers, you get in trouble with the water, which will become to dark.

So, I am interested in more dynamic range.

[/quote]

Hello Reinier, mid day light still mid day light even during the winter. Try them again when the light is not as harsh. I will upload one picture later today.
With the Pentax K-5, which has very close to the same dynamic range of the Nikon D800 (0.3 ev difference according to DxOMark), I find it's very good to expose so the bright areas do not clip/burn out, then restore the dark areas in post production. Better than the K10D and the K-x was before the K-5. The amount of image data you can restore from the dark areas without having them ruined by noise is very impressive.
[quote name='Reinier' timestamp='1359885192' post='21719']

I used to shoot with slide film (Fuji Sensia II 100, Velvia Velvia 100), but when I bought my first Dslr (first the 40D and sold it to buy a 2-hand 5D 3 years ago) I was pleasantly suprised by the higher tonal range. Because of the higher DR I was able to take photographs which I wasn't with slide film, because it would have been to dark.

Just recently I was photographing mute swans here on a man-made lake. Although the sun isn't as powerful as in the spring or summer, the white feathers in combination with the dark water was not easy to get a right exposure. In theory you can't get the right exposure, because when you want to see detail in the feathers, you get in trouble with the water, which will become to dark.

So, I am interested in more dynamic range.

[/quote]

Here is one picture, it is not perfect but is good example. It has some areas without detail, but works out overall. I slightly pushed the shadows in PP. The picture was taken with D200, I would say that your camera would do much better in such light conditions.
Hi Boris,

Thanks for the beuatiful photograph of this flying heron. Did it take long to get this picture?

In my instance the light wasn't harsh at all. And comuing back later would result in too much shadows around this pond. Because the sun 'was low' the water was very dark, much darker than your photograph. So, the contrast was still too much.

Of course I could lighten the water in Lightroom or so, but I like to try to do as little post-processing as possible. I am not lazy, I just can sit very long periods of time due to my back.

Best wishes,

Reinier
[quote name='Reinier' timestamp='1360090878' post='21792']

Hi Boris,

Thanks for the beuatiful photograph of this flying heron. Did it take long to get this picture?

In my instance the light wasn't harsh at all. And comuing back later would result in too much shadows around this pond. Because the sun 'was low' the water was very dark, much darker than your photograph. So, the contrast was still too much.

Of course I could lighten the water in Lightroom or so, but I like to try to do as little post-processing as possible. I am not lazy, I just can sit very long periods of time due to my back.

Best wishes,

Reinier

[/quote]If you do not like PP, then no high DR sensor will help you at all. The high DR talk is about the RAW data, not the camera's tonal curves and image output. So... if you just want to shoot without delving into RAW and PP with some advanced "DR" trickery, there are NO big differences between any of the cameras at all.

Hi Boris,

Best wishes,

Reinier

[/quote]

In such cases the PP is necessary: white subject that is moving on dark background. As I told you earlier PP is minimal slightly lighten the shadows.

Hi Boris,

Best wishes,

Reinier

[/quote]

This one wasn't difficult to make, since the herons usually fly in straight line and the light was good.
It is not that I don't like PP, but I am limited. So, I am always looking to minimize PP. So, the thought was if a camera has mor DR, then that would in theory save some time with the PP. I know it won't take the PP, then I need to shoot Jpeg. But most of the time, Jpeg is to atricfical.

Best wishes,

Reinier
I wrote

"I know it won't take the PP, then I need to shoot Jpeg. But most of the time, Jpeg is to atricfical."

It should have been "I know it won't take PP away entirely, ........."
"...But most of the time, Jpeg is to atricfical."

I'm not sure if I understand what you are saying. I shoot a lot of stuff using JPEG and no PP. For example in the link below I don't think that it looks at all artificial.

http://issuu.com/studor13/docs/school_day_out?mode=window&pageNumber=1

However, I also shoot RAW because there is a lot of information in there that I want to pull out.

In the first example below it is the JPEG straight out of the camera. As you can see it is quite awful. But with a bit of help from LR4 you can see how different it is in the second (RAW) image.

The choice of shooting a D80 or a D800, or JPEG or RAW is always the same. You need to know in advance what it is that you are trying to do.

But going back to your original question, if you shoot a D800 with D-Lighting set to High (or even extra high) you can capture an entire scene that has a wide DR without you having to do a lot of PP.