Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Next OL Lens Test report: Sigma 90mm f/2.8 DG DN Contemporary
https://opticallimits.com/sony/sony-fe-f...ry-review/

Slow but nice.
Chief Editor - opticallimits.com

Doing all things Canon, MFT, Sony and Fuji
Triple 2.8: aperture, vignetting wide open, pincushion distortion. Smile

Anyway it's nice to see the reviews of these lenses even though I'm not really in the target group; Sigma has made a lot of them in very quick succession I think? (17/4; 20/2; 24/2; 24/3.5; 35/2; 45/2.8; 50/2; 65/2; and this 90/2.8... have I missed anything?)

Maybe if I manage to leave the journalistic trade behind, I'll get some of these and shoot on vacations. Smile
When comparing with the Samyang 75mm F1.8: «However, you can expect it to be more flimsy in terms of build quality» — yep, I can confirm that. I'm pretty happy to have it, but you trade the extra stop and low price with the build quality.
stoppingdown.net

Sony a6300, Sony a6000, Sony NEX-6, Sony E 10-18mm F4 OSS, Sony Zeiss Vario-Tessar T* E 16-70mm F4 ZA OSS, Sony FE 70-200mm F4 G OSS, Sigma 150-600mm Æ’/5-6.3 DG OS HSM Contemporary, Samyang 12mm Æ’/2, Sigma 30mm F2.8 DN | A, Meyer Gorlitz Trioplan 100mm Æ’/2.8, Samyang 8mm Æ’/3.5 fish-eye II | Zenit Helios 44-2 58mm Æ’/2 
Plus some legacy Nikkor lenses.
(05-13-2024, 08:02 AM)Rover Wrote: Triple 2.8: aperture, vignetting wide open, pincushion distortion. Smile

Anyway it's nice to see the reviews of these lenses even though I'm not really in the target group; Sigma has made a lot of them in very quick succession I think? (17/4; 20/2; 24/2; 24/3.5; 35/2; 45/2.8; 50/2; 65/2; and this 90/2.8... have I missed anything?)

Maybe if I manage to leave the journalistic trade behind, I'll get some of these and shoot on vacations. Smile

The 17/4 review is coming soon.

The 65 is still my favorite.

Question - do you also see 3D pop in this image?

https://photozone.smugmug.com/Sigma-90mm...-pPntZ7f/A

LOL, I think it's one of those nebulous terms people use arbitrarily and subjectively to describe things (e.g. lenses...) they like as opposed to those they don't. Big Grin

I think the image is nice; the background looks iffy in spots at 100% but this is inevitable because most any lens may be made to look bad when shooting images with lots of foliage and twigs in the OOF areas. But I usually don't give a rat's ass about these things anyway. Smile
I don't think that 3D pop is hokum - because it can be measured. It won't show up in our numbers here, though.
We "just" measure the peak resolution (and a bit of contrast), but this doesn't reflect how objects "stand out".

Watch this snippet from a Leica explanation:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_vyoAIOTIcs
Time index: 29:10 to 32:10

I'd guess you can sometimes - although not always - take a hint from our LoCA tests.
The "problem" with the LoCA test is that this contrast transition is polluted by the rather close focus distance.

Klaus pid='58123' dateline='1715598077']

https://photozone.smugmug.com/Sigma-90mm...-pPntZ7f/A[/quote]

3D pop is hard to define, however I am somewhat not really happy with post processing. while I do shoot to the right, while converting to RAW I then correct exposure, here it still looks overexposed.
White balance is rather on the cold side warmer colors, I would also correct the grass greens. and obviously decrease saturation, for composition I would suggest cropping behind the old car as the details are distracting 
[Image: attachment.php?aid=224]

Attached Files
.jpg   pz.jpg (Size: 461.09 KB / Downloads: 41)
Not a lot to criticize there, although I would prefer that extra stop at 1.8 for portraits really ...
 btw text quotes 2.8 as the vignetting figure where the graph shows 2.44 ....
  thanks ....
I think the focus here (pun not intended) was on compactness... it's much smaller than any AF 85/1.8 I think? Though not lighter due to the metal husk.
(05-13-2024, 11:01 AM)Klaus Wrote:

https://photozone.smugmug.com/Sigma-90mm...-pPntZ7f/A

Nice image! ...... 3D pop sort of yes, but with reservations though .... the 3D pop is countered somewhat by a sort of "micro bubbling pop" going on in the foliage highlights as well as edgy highlighted twigs in the mid distance ....  all on a micro scale ..... it doesn't seem to be nisen bokeh image splitting or just general soap bubbling .....  on a large scale print that would be pretty distracting ....... strange !
 I get the impression this image nice though it is, has exposed a  shortcoming of this lens at least at greater magnifications .... but then I do give a rat's arse about bokeh ..... Smile