Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Pentax lens announcements!
 Shock horror, two new K mount lenses announced by Pentax:

[Image: fbe4815344e0426694a31153f3b3811e.png]
[Image: 57d4e3423b304acbb30c4a2f23ab0e24.png]
HD Pentax-DA* 11-18mm F2.8
HD Pentax-D FA* 50mm F1.4 SDM AW

Almost a first.... an F2.8 wide angle APSc zoom looks an interesting choice of FLs, nice and bright, could be goodie.

Finally a decent standard zoom for K mount FF?  No doubt that the FA 50mm F1.4 is getting long in the tooth these days.  

The now question is: is that it Pentax and for how long? 

Standard prime*

Good to see that Pentax took the time to ship after introduction to another level... ("spring 2018", "summer 2018")

Pentax are always late and lagging, I am wondering how are they capable of surviving
  The reality set in for me when I weighed up that my coffin would arrive sooner than a K mount 150-600mm/500mm F4,

Three years later still no K mount long tele-zoom...

....... luckily still no coffin! :ph34r:
We have a lens roadmap:

http://www.ricoh-imaging.co.jp/japan/pro...t_Lens.pdf

Just a glance on it and you'll know these two lenses are not the only ones planned Wink

Next should be a D FA* 85mm f/1.4, then the others. Story goes, developing the new ring-type SDM motor took longer - I hope they'll pick up some speed next year.

And, what do you mean by "no K mount long tele-zoom"? My D FA 150-450mm feels quite real...  Tongue

The 150-450mm is a good lens......but for me and many birders 450mm  just isn't long enough even on APSc!

The DA 560mm was IMHO a strange offering, very long, telescope optics, only F5.6 and needs stopping down to be sharp, Pentaxians had been waiting for an affordable long tele-zoom and they got offered that lens with a 7,000 euros price tag.......that lens should have been affordable..........proof,  barely a soul bought it!

Pentax are in a super position with their association with Tamron, IMHO they should bring out the 150-600mm G2 in the K mount.....as well as many others. 

........Yes you may say.......it would spoil the sales of their own 150-450mm.....but, so what?..... it would prevent much brand migration.

A lot of Pentax birders have gone to dual systems now,  with Nikon for birding for the availability of long glass, in the end I had to succumb to the endless new improved affordable glass coming out, 98% of which is unavailable in the K mount.  

At this moment, I'd say e.g. a Nikon D500+200-500 or a third-party 150-600mm would be a better option for birders such as yourself.

As for Pentax, I believe their strategy should allow them to expand their product line with OEM products, rather than rebadges (as a birder, why would you get a Pentax with a weaker AF, and the same lens you can buy cheaper for Canon/Nikon?).

Even "killing" the 150-450 might be a mistake, while you'd love the added reach of a x-600mm lens, others might prefer the more manageable and shorter lens.

Last but not least, the DA 560mm f/5.6 is much more affordable than a 600mm f/4 from the other manufacturers.
Quote: 

Last but not least, the DA 560mm f/5.6 is much more affordable than a 600mm f/4 from the other manufacturers.
And its performance is worse than a Tamron or Sigma 150-600mm. And worse than  Canon EF 400mm f4 DO IS USM II + 1.4x TC.

Anyone getting that Pentax 560mm is a bit odd, I gather.
Are you sure it's performance is worse than a Tamron or Sigma 150-600? You don't even say which Tamron or Sigma, and some of them are quite weak at 600mm.

Quote:Are you sure it's performance is worse than a Tamron or Sigma 150-600? You don't even say which Tamron or Sigma, and some of them are quite weak at 600mm.
That Pentax is quite weak at 560mm.