•  Previous
  • 10(current)
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
new Nikon gear
Quote:Nikon and their "issues"

One wonders, how can such things happen (repeatedly!) in >2k€ products?  :wacko:
Interesting post by Ming Thein on the 300 f4 E:

http://blog.mingthein.com/2015/03/30/nik...le-images/

stoppingdown.net

Sony a6300, Sony a6000, Sony NEX-6, Sony E 10-18mm F4 OSS, Sony Zeiss Vario-Tessar T* E 16-70mm F4 ZA OSS, Sony FE 70-200mm F4 G OSS, Sigma 150-600mm Æ’/5-6.3 DG OS HSM Contemporary, Samyang 12mm Æ’/2, Sigma 30mm F2.8 DN | A, Meyer Gorlitz Trioplan 100mm Æ’/2.8, Samyang 8mm Æ’/3.5 fish-eye II | Zenit Helios 44-2 58mm Æ’/2 
Plus some legacy Nikkor lenses.
Others have reported that adding the optional grip dampens the combination to an extent that the problem disappears. Someone else reported the same problem while using a D750.

Quote:Interesting post by Ming Thein on the 300 f4 E:

http://blog.mingthein.com/2015/03/30/nik...le-images/

Hmmm, I only tried it on D810 - as test-shot series. On D750 I didn't investigate because I want to have it as sharp as possible on the highest resolving body - others won't be worse, I took for granted.

When I used the D750 and this lens in a very low light acrobatic performance, I didn't see much double contours, but even mounted on D810, it is much better with 1/60 than with 1/125.

Anyway, I also read they need to change a DC-converter for the VR. On the contrary, Nikon Switzerland just told me it's a firmware problem, it doesn't happen with each aperture/camera/shutter speed in the same way. If it's really only D810, it's no wonder that not each photographer tells the same story.
I have read that the issue might be caused by natural frequency harmonics between the VR and the shutter. If that was the case it would make sense that not all bodies are affected (maybe even not all D810s, if there is sufficiently high sample variation  Big Grin ). 

But a firmware update is unlikely to fix it then...

The question remains: How the hell did Nikon not notice this while the lens in development?! Do they not try out their new lenses on their latest bodies?!  Huh

The question is excellent, Felix. It suits well to some other questions: Didn't they do nightshots with the D810? Didn't they check both sides of the AF sensors at D800? Didn't they find it funny to see some spots on a D600 sensor? Didn't they look against the light with D750? And why are there nearly no DX bodies on which "issue-seekers" © were successful? Are those customers less critical? Just waiting for the never happening D400? Is it only part of a kind of marketing campaign which says not matter if the headlines are good or bad, we need to remain in the center of interest?

Taking photos is comparatively boring these days…

Doesn't sound too different from where I work. Products are designed to specifications, and tested to specifications. It used to be a running joke that many people involved never used the product as an end user would. I'd like to say things are better now, but we still get problems after a product goes out.

<a class="bbc_url" href="http://snowporing.deviantart.com/">dA</a> Canon 7D2, 7D, 5D2, 600D, 450D, 300D IR modified, 1D, EF-S 10-18, 15-85, EF 35/2, 85/1.8, 135/2, 70-300L, 100-400L, MP-E65, Zeiss 2/50, Sigma 150 macro, 120-300/2.8, Samyang 8mm fisheye, Olympus E-P1, Panasonic 20/1.7, Sony HX9V, Fuji X100.
Quote:It suits well to some other questions: Didn't they do nightshots with the D810? Didn't they check both sides of the AF sensors at D800? Didn't they find it funny to see some spots on a D600 sensor? Didn't they look against the light with D750? And why are there nearly no DX bodies on which "issue-seekers" © were successful? Are those customers less critical? Just waiting for the never happening D400? Is it only part of a kind of marketing campaign which says not matter if the headlines are good or bad, we need to remain in the center of interest?

Taking photos is comparatively boring these days…

Some very valid questions indeed. Even if a product is designed and tested to predefined specifications, one has to question the validity of these specifications if they result in faulty products... 

I don't think that all these issues with recent Nikon products have come up because people are "actively" looking for them. It just so happened that nearly all enthusiast-oriented Nikon products over the past two years or so have had some more or less serious issues (I think the D7xxx-series was affected too, but I may be wrong...). And enthusiasts probably make up the majority of active members in online forums and blogs.... So if someone - by chance-  notices a systematic issue like the D600 oil spots, the probability that others test their equipment for the same issue is relatively high in that consumer segment. The word spreads and suddenly you're faced with a class-action lawsuit  Big Grin
There have been/still are? issues with the AF-S 24mm f1.4 (focus accuracy problems at close focus distances), light leak issues with the AF-S 24-70mm f2.8 through the focus distance scale window. 

Last Canon lens I remember having an operational issue was the EF 70-300mm f4-5.6 IS USM. The 1st production badges could suffer from a bad optics shift when used in vertical orientation, the issue was quickly resolved and early lenses were repaired/replaced. That was in 2005.

https://nikoneurope-en.custhelp.com/app/...a_id/64211

•  Previous
  • 10(current)